The following are 23 news stories from a variety of sources that everyone should consider before the avalanche of "go green" stories that will be unveiled on Earth Day - in the media and in our kids' schools.
Whether or not one wants to promote the perfectly fine goal of fostering a better environment and leaving a cleaner planet for one's children, that should not be carried out on the basis of disinformation, hysteria, or hidden political agendas.
1. Humans are NOT to Blame for Global Warming, Says Greenpeace Co-founder... (Daily Mail)
"There is no scientific proof of man-made global warming and a hotter earth would be ‘beneficial for humans and the majority of other species’, according to a founding member of environmental campaign group Greenpeace. The assertion was made by Canadian ecologist Patrick Moore, a member of Greenpeace from 1971 to 1986, to U.S senators on Tuesday."
2. James Hansen Admits Global Temperature Standstill Is Real (The GWPF)
"According to Hansen et al. the Nasa Giss database has 2012 as the ninth warmest year on record, although statistically indistinguishable from the last 12 years, at least. Noaa says it’s the tenth warmest year. The difference is irrelevant."
3. 'Gaia' Scientist James Lovelock: I Was 'Alarmist' About Climate Change (NBC)
“The world has not warmed up very much since the millennium. Twelve years is a reasonable time… it (the temperature) has stayed almost constant, whereas it should have been rising — carbon dioxide is rising, no question about that,” he added.
4. Climategate U-turn as Scientist at Centre of Row Admits: There Has Been No Global Warming Since 1995 (Daily Mail)
“Professor Jones also conceded the possibility that the world was warmer in medieval times than now – suggesting global warming may not be a man-made phenomenon. And he said that for the past 15 years there has been no ‘statistically significant’ warming.”
5. Climate Expert von Storch: Why Is Global Warming Stagnating? (Der Spiegel)
"So far, no one has been able to provide a compelling answer to why climate change seems to be taking a break. We're facing a puzzle. Recent CO2 emissions have actually risen even more steeply than we feared. As a result, according to most climate models, we should have seen temperatures rise by around 0.25 degrees Celsius (0.45 degrees Fahrenheit) over the past 10 years. That hasn't happened."
6. Warming Plateau? Climatologists Face Inconvenient Truth (Der Spiegel)
"Data shows global temperatures aren't rising the way climate scientists have predicted. Now the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change faces a problem: publicize these findings and encourage skeptics — or hush up the figures."
7. German Public Television Stuns Its Readers, Concedes Medieval Warm Period May Have Been 0.5°C Warmer Than Today! (Wetterthema via No Tricks Zone)
"The ARD piece even goes on to say that the Medieval Warm Period from the years 800 to 1300 was similarly as warm as the 'last climate normal period of 1961 to 1990, whose mean temperature is used as the reference value.' The ARD writes further: Using alternative reconstructions that period was even about 0.5°C warmer than today.”
8. Why Has Global Warming Stalled? (BBC)
"There are plenty of possible explanations but none of them adds up to a definitive smoking gun.”
9. Global Warming Pause 'Central' to IPCC Climate Report (BBC)
"The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is meeting in Sweden to thresh out a critical report on global warming. Scientists will underline, with greater certainty than ever, the role of human activities in rising temperatures. But many governments are demanding a clearer explanation of the slowdown in temperature increases since 1998. One participant told BBC News that this pause will be a 'central piece' of the summary."
10. There Has Been No Global Warming Since 1998 (Telegraph)
“The headline of this post really shouldn't be controversial. It chimes perfectly with what Kevin ‘null hypothesis’ Trenberth wrote in that notorious 2009 Climategate email to Michael Mann: The fact is that we can't account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can't.”
11. Senator Barbara Boxer's Own Experts Contradict Obama On Global Warming (Forbes)
"I don’t have much patience for people who deny climate change,” Obama added. However, climate scientists including United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) lead author Hans von Storch report temperatures have remained essentially flat for the past 10 years, and indeed for the past 15 years."
12. ‘Global Warming’ is Rubbish says Top Professor (Yorkshire Evening Post)
"He doesn’t believe in ‘global warming’ and says ‘climate change’ is a meaningless term used as a sop by big business to create money. Neil Hudson met Prof Les Woodcock."
13. Global Warming 'Hiatus' Puts Climate Change Scientists on the Spot (LA Times)
"Since just before the start of the 21st century, the Earth's average global surface temperature has failed to rise despite soaring levels of heat-trapping greenhouse gases and years of dire warnings from environmental advocates."
14. Man-made Global Warming: Even the IPCC Admits the Jig is Up (Telegraph)
"Breaking news from the US – h/t Watts Up With That? – where a leaked draft of the IPCC's latest report AR5 admits what some of us have suspected for a very long time: that the case for man-made global warming is looking weaker by the day and that the sun plays a much more significant role in 'climate change' than the scientific 'consensus' has previously been prepared to concede."
15. RSS Global Temperature Data: No Global Warming at All for 202 Months (Christopher Monckton at WUWT)
"The least-squares linear-regression trend on the data from the RSS satellites since November 1996 shows there has been no global warming at all for 202 months (16 years 10 months). In a few more months, unless an el Niño comes along in January, its favorite month, RSS may be the first dataset to show 17 full years with a zero global warming trend."
16. 'Nothing Off-limits' in Climate Debate (The Australian)
"THE UN's climate change chief, Rajendra Pachauri, has acknowledged a 17-year pause in global temperature rises, confirmed recently by Britain's Met Office, but said it would need to last '30 to 40 years at least' to break the long-term global warming trend."
17. 95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong (Dr. Roy Spencer)
"I’ve updated our comparison of 90 climate models versus observations for global average surface temperatures through 2013, and we still see that >95% of the models have over-forecast the warming trend since 1979, whether we use their own surface temperature dataset (HadCRUT4), or our satellite dataset of lower tropospheric temperatures (UAH)..."
18. 2013 Atlantic Hurricane Season Ends - No Major Hurricanes For First Time Since 1994 (MyFoxHurricaneBlog)
"The accumulated cyclone energy (ACE) measures the total energy output of all tropical systems during the hurricane season. In 2013 the ACE is just 33% of the 1981 – 2012 average. 2013 is the 6th least active Atlantic season (measured by ACE) since 1950. 2013 has the fewest hurricanes since 1982 and is the first time since 1994 there are no major hurricanes."
19. 2013 is a Record Low Year for U.S. Tornadoes (WUWT)
"When looking historically at where we are, we find that 2013 has slipped below the historical minimum, setting a new record for the ~60 years in the tornado database."
20. Accumulated Cyclone Energy (Weather Underground)
"There is no evidence of a systematic increasing or decreasing trend in ACE for the years 1970-2012."
21. 2013 Will Finish One Of The Ten Coldest Years In US History, With The Largest Drop In Temperature (Real Science)
"Before NASA and NOAA start tampering with the data, 2013 is one of the ten coldest years in the US since 1895, and has had the largest year over year decline on record. NOAA of course won’t talk about this, and will massively tamper with the data before releasing it. The graph (above) is the monthly average of all daily high and low temperatures at all NOAA USHCN stations."
22. And Now It's Global Cooling! Return of Arctic Ice Cap as it Grows by 29% in a Year (Daily Mail)
"A chilly Arctic summer has left 533,000 more square miles of ocean covered with ice than at the same time last year – an increase of 29 per cent. The rebound from 2012’s record low comes six years after the BBC reported that global warming would leave the Arctic ice-free in summer by 2013."
23. Deaths From Hurricanes, Floods, Droughts, and Other Weather Events Are Down 98 Percent Since 1920s (Reason Foundation)
"Extreme weather events were responsible for just .07% of the world’s deaths between 2000 and 2010. The extreme weather categories studied in the Reason Foundation report include droughts, floods, wildfires, storms (hurricanes, cyclones, tornadoes, typhoons, etc.) and extreme temperatures, both hot and cold."
This post has been edited after publication.