In a hearing Monday in Brownsville, Texas, U.S. Federal District Court Judge Andrew Hanen kept a temporary injunction in place, effectively halting President Obama's executive actions on immigration for at least 10 more days.
Hanen said in a one-page order that the court will not rule on any pending motions at least until a court hearing set for March 19, where government attorneys will have to explain a filing that said some 100,000 people had been given three-year periods of deferred action prior to the judge's injunction.
Earlier this year on February 16, Judge Hanen ruled that “the administration had not followed required procedures for changing federal rules,” and ordered the deferred action program.
The New York Times said:
Under the judge’s ruling, the expansion of an existing program that was to begin on Wednesday will be postponed; for now, as many as 270,000 immigrants who came to the United States as children cannot apply for it.
Yet, the Justice Department stated in a filing last week that some deferrals had been granted prior to the injunction.
The Justice Department vowed to take the case to the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans, if the order wasn't lifted by March 9.
The response to the President's executive action has been mixed, with even Hispanics divided on the controversial amnesty.
Latinum Network surveyed their users and created an infographic from their answers:
The White House has said the injunction will harm national security.