Rodney Colley, a 23-year-old college student from Alexandria, Virginia, woke up to find something that looked like “a diaper rash” forming under his armpit.
Having no idea what could have caused the rash, he went about his Sunday as he normally does. However, the rash started to get progressively worse and pain ensued.
“I got out of the shower on Monday morning and it felt like my armpit was on fire,” Rodney tells IJ.com. “So I looked in the mirror and sure enough the skin around it started scabbing.”
As it turned out, the fresh deodorant he bought several days earlier was causing chemical burns to his skin.
While Rodney has used Old Spice brand deodorants in the past, this was the first time he'd ever used Old Spice: Pure Sport High Endurance: Deodorant. It's not the first time, however, that people have been burned by this product.
Michael Smith posted a video on YouTube describing the burns he received on his under arms after using an Old Spice brand deodorant.
Comments under his story showed that more people had similar experiences.
According to Consumer Affairs, in 73 customer ratings and 140 reviews, Old Spice has a 1.7 stars out of five, with customers complaining specifically about their different deodorants and the issues that they caused.
Still, while there are multiple claims of Old Spice customers suffering from either allergic reactions like contact dermatitis or chemical burns, the company has not released any statements regarding the issue.
Editor’s note: The man interviewed for this piece is of relation to the author.