Marine Gen. James Mattis. “Mad Dog” Mattis, to his troops. Sounds badass, doesn't it? Judging by some of his most memorable quotes, that's exactly what he is—a badass.
President-elect Donald Trump announced during a rally in Cincinnati on Thursday that he will nominate the retired general to become the nation's next Secretary of Defense.
Following his retirement in 2013, Washington Free Beacon compiled a list of Mad Dog's quotes. Here are the baddest of the bunch. (Warning: language.)
1.“I don’t lose any sleep at night over the potential for failure. I cannot even spell the word.”
2. “The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some assholes in the world that just need to be shot.”
3. “I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all.”
4. “Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they’re so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact.”
5. “Fight with a happy heart and strong spirit.”
6. “Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
7. “The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.”
8. “There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
9. “I’m going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years.”
10. “Demonstrate to the world there is ‘No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy’ than a U.S. Marine.”
11. “There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.”
12. “No war is over until the enemy says it’s over. We may think it over, we may declare it over, but in fact, the enemy gets a vote.”
13. “You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn’t wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain’t got no manhood left anyway. So it’s a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them. Actually it’s quite fun to fight them, you know. It’s a hell of a hoot. It’s fun to shoot some people. I’ll be right up there with you. I like brawling.”
A Marine who served under Mattis three times described him this way:
“To Marines, he is the finest of our tribal elders. The rest of the world, very soon, will know how truly gifted he is. Our friends and allies will be happy he is our new secretary of war; our enemies will soon wish he weren’t.”
Trump calls Mattis “the closest thing to Patton we have.” Judging by Mad Dog's view of war and how to fight it, old “Blood and Guts” would surely be proud of the comparison.