It's been just over two weeks since President Donald J. Trump made his bombshell wiretapping claim on Twitter.
Since then, accusations and denials have been flying over the prospect of a presidential candidate being wiretapped under the order of a sitting president.
Trump took the matter a step further and requested that Congress look into the matter as part of its investigation into possible Russian interference in the presidential election. Shortly thereafter, House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes (R-CA) agreed to the request.
Both President Obama and Former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper denied any wiretapping had occurred, but not everyone agreed with that stance. Former Bush Attorney General Michael Mukasey said Trump was possibly right about the wiretapping but wrong about who ordered it, saying it would have been the Department of Justice's Attorney General who made such an order.
However, the wiretapping had been reported on prior to Trump's tweet. HeatStreet wrote in November 2016 that just prior to the election, the FBI had been “'granted [a] FISA warrant' covering Trump camp’s ties to Russia.”
In January 2017, The New York Times reported that “American law enforcement and intelligence agencies” were looking at “intercepted communications” that were “part of a broad investigation into possible links between Russian officials and associates of President-elect Donald J. Trump, including his former campaign chairman Paul Manafort.”
Nunes requested that evidence be submitted to the committee investigating the matter by March 17, but two days after the deadline stated that the report turned in by the Department of Justice showed no proof of Trump's wiretap claim, according to Yahoo! News.
He added that he was not aware of any FISA warrant being issued to wiretap Trump Tower:
“Was there a physical wiretap of Trump Tower? No. There never was.”
The Hill wrote that Rep. Tom Cole (R-OK) has said that Trump now needs to make things right:
“I see no indication that's true. It's not a charge that I would ever have ever made, and frankly unless he can produce some pretty compelling proof, then I think President Obama is owed an apology in that regard. If he didn't do it, we shouldn't be reckless in accusations that he did.”
White House press secretary Sean Spicer tweeted on March 5 that “no further comment” on the wiretap issue would be made by President Trump or the White House until the investigation was conducted. Now that Nunes has said there is no proof, Trump is free to comment on the investigation findings.