Since then, the Gold Star father has remained publicly critical of President Trump, particularly in terms of his executive orders on immigration.
In early March, it seemed that feud had finally come to a head when Khan announced that he would be unable to travel to a speaking engagement in Canada because he was “notified that his travel privileges are being reviewed”:
In a note to Canadian speech organizers, Khan reportedly said that he had “not been given any reason as to why” those privileges were under review, adding:
“This turn of events is not just of deep concern to me but to all my fellow Americans who cherish our freedom to travel abroad.”
While the story quickly spread across both Canada and the U.S., it soon became clear — with government officials on both sides of the border denying any type of travel hold — that Khan's story was, as The Washington Post put it, “unraveling”:
On Friday, nearly two weeks after he made his “travel privilege” claims, Khan finally broke his silence to explain that the decision to cancel his trip to Canada was entirely his own.
In an email to WCVE reporter Hawes Spencer, Khan said:
“I did not want to go through the hassle of uncertain rules and capricious implementation.”
He also reportedly referenced concerns about Muslim profiling, using the temporary detention of late boxing icon Muhammad Ali's son at a U.S. airport as an example.
Khan went on to note that he'll refuse to travel abroad “until there's clarity” about how he can expect to be treated at the border.
As of now, it remains unclear why Khan waited nearly two weeks to clarify that the decision to not travel outside the U.S. was not mandated by the government, but was strictly his own.