Notifications

Actor Tim Allen said Tuesday that he is “stunned and blindsided” by ABC's decision to cancel his highly successful show, “Last Man Standing.”

“Stunned and blindsided by the network I called home for the last six years,” Allen tweeted.

ABC canceled “Last Man Standing” after an impressive six-season run. The show's ratings were good, leading many viewers to conclude that the show's conservative-leaning writing played a role in the network's decision.

But ABC Entertainment President Channing Dungey said that the cancellation had nothing to do with politics. Here's what she said, according to Variety:

“'Last Man Standing' was a challenging one for me, because it was a steady performer,” said Channing Dungey, ABC Entertainment President. “Once we made the decision not to continue with comedy on Friday, it was just kind of that's where we landed.” She made her remarks on a conference call with reporters. ABC's Friday lineup will be stacked with two one-hour super-hero dramas, “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” and “The Inhumans,” along with the news program “20/20.”

Dungey said she used the same criteria in considering the future of “Last Man Standing” as she did in examining what to do with other canceled series, like “The Catch,” “The Real O'Neals,” and “American Crime.” She also said studio ownership, future creative direction, ratings and viewer engagement were factors she considered in making her decision.

Still, viewers are clearly not happy about the demise of “Last Man Standing.”

Some even started a petition to boycott ABC over the cancellation. So far, roughly 32,000 people have signed the petition.

“The intent of this petition/boycott is to attempt to get ABC to renew the show. With that in mind, I will no longer be watching any ABC shows,” the petition reads. “I have cancelled the DVR settings for the other ABC shows that I regularly watch. If you want to help try to save 'Last Man Standing,' I encourage you to do the same.”