Notifications

With his high-profile trial just weeks away, Bill Cosby delivered some surprising news during a recent interview with CNN's Michael Smerconish.

It was the first time the veteran comedian had given an interview in two years, and the timing couldn't have been worse.

Cosby is heading to court in June for three felony aggravated indecent assault charges, brought on by Andrea Constand, a former Temple University women's basketball coach.

William Thomas Cain/Stringer/Getty Images

Constand is one of many women who allege that Cosby drugged and sexually assaulted them — in Constand's case, the reported incident occurred in the early 2000s.

According to CNN, jury selection is set to begin this week. But that didn't stop Cosby from spilling the beans about his plans for the upcoming trial.

Cosby told Smerconish that he has chosen not to testify at his own trial because he doesn't want to be cross-examined.

The comedian told the SiriusXM host:

“What people want to say, want you to say, and how they maneuver — yes, I do have lawyers to protect me, 'objections,' 'sustained' — but I just don't want to sit there and have to figure out what I believe is a truthful answer as to whether or not I'm opening a can of something that ... my lawyers are scrambling.”

Brendan Smialowski/Stringer/Getty Images

Cosby dropped the bombshell news just as prosecutors are gearing up for the trial, and the announcement may help strengthen their fight against him, according to ABC News's Chief Legal Analyst, Dan Abrams.

On “Good Morning America,” Abrams said that Cosby's timing was a mistake:

“This is a bad strategy from beginning to end. [...] He's now signaling to prosecutors, 'You don't need to prepare — don't bother spending your time preparing for cross-examination.'”

Abrams said that it is unusual for defendants to divulge this kind of information so far ahead of the trial. He told “GMA”:

“Typically, defendants won't disclose that until the end. [...] So the legal question of whether he takes the stand is almost secondary to this announcement, which was such a foolish one.”

During the shocking interview, Cosby also agreed with suggestions his daughter, Ensa, made that racism drove the sexual assault allegations against him.

Cosby's trial begins June 5. He has pleaded not guilty to all of the charges against him.