BRITAIN-ATTACKS-POLITICS
DANIEL SORABJI / Staff/Getty Images

Armed police arrived at the U.K.'s London Bridge after a vehicle reportedly mowed down several people on Saturday night, according to BBC and The Sun newspaper. Eyewitnesses saw people who had allegedly been stabbed on the ground.

Video of the scene emerged on social media:

UPDATE [6/3/17, 6:00 p.m. ET]:

CNN is reporting that 15-20 people were run over on the bridge. The stabbing reportedly happened at a nearby restaurant, and it's not clear whether the two incidents are related.

Authorities closed London Bridge and evacuated the London Bridge station.

Video and images surfaced showing authorities on the scene, as well as people apparently evacuating:

— CBS News (@CBSNews) June 3, 2017

The incident comes just after a terrorist attack killed dozens of people outside an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England. Grande planned to hold a benefit concert Sunday for the victims and their families.

UPDATE [6/3/17, 6:40 p.m. ET]:

Police surrounded a white van suspected of being used to hit victims. According to a journalist at the scene, the van traveled at about 50 mph during the incident. One man could be seen in handcuffs. The van reportedly hit 5-6 people with four “severely injured,” the BBC reported.

Multiple outlets reported that gunshots were heard and, according to The Sun newspaper, 2-3 assailants stabbed multiple people with 12-inch knives. Tito's restaurant, the suspected site of the stabbing, had blood on its steps. Casualties could be seen leaving the restaurant, which is located on London Street Bridge.

Police are reportedly treating the injured.

One witness mentioned to CNN seeing a victim thrown 20 feet in the air after being hit by the van:

Mark Roberts said the van was traveling south across the River Thames at a high rate of speed and was swerving as it struck several people, knocking one person “about 20 feet into the air.”

The van swerved into oncoming lanes before hitting a bus stop and coming to a stop, Roberts said.

“Within my line of sight, there were five or six people on the ground that were not moving,” he said. “It looked to me that the van was aiming at the people.”

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer tweeted on Saturday that President Donald Trump was briefed on the apparent attack.

London's metropolitan police announced on Twitter that police were responding to a third incident. People in the Vauxhall area were reportedly told to run and hide.

Authorities reportedly shut down another station and pursued a suspect, The Sun reported. An eyewitness on social media claimed to see the police around Monument Station:

Police confirmed that multiple people died from the attack.

UPDATE [6/3/17, 6:40 p.m. ET]:

BBC is reporting that police are searching for three men.

More video emerged from London:

 

 

An eyewitness told BBC Radio he saw a “black, dark-skinned” attacker “coldly” stabbing a victim.

We were outside the underground station.

We saw people running away and then I saw a man with quite a large blade, at least 10-inches, stabbing a man three times.

He was stabbing him quite coldly, and then the victim slumped to the ground.

He continued:

I think he was black, dark-skinned, red tracksuit on, with a red hoodie.

He walked quite boldly along with another guy in the direction of the Southwark tavern.

Glass bottles and tables were thrown at them, and then we heard gunshots.

Prime Minister Theresa May issued a statement following the attack:

President Donald Trump also tweeted his response:

Within hours, the attacks were officially declared acts of terror:

London Mayor Sadiq Khan added a statement as well:

BBC News reported the first photo of the alleged attacker at the Borough Market:

London Ambulance Service has reported that at least 20 patients have been taken to 6 hospitals:

Update: This article previously included a tweet from @Ten_GOP, an account which has since been suspended. The tweet has since been removed.

25 Comments
25 Comments
Be the first to comment!
FEATURED
sort by: latest