Note: This article contains a video with graphic images.
The Las Ramblas area of Barcelona was disrupted Thursday afternoon when a van drove through a crowd of people in the Plaça de Catalunya.
The Independent reported the vehicle pushed through a pedestrian street. According to Fox News, citing a report from Sky News, at least 13 people died and 20 were injured. The estimated number of injured people has gone up to 100 since then. Two armed people, including the driver from the van, ran into a nearby restaurant, CNN reported.
Fox News reported that the assailants took hostages in a Turkish restaurant and bar that they entered.
Authorities suspect this event was most likely a terrorist attack. In a video posted to social media, police could be seen searching for a suspect after the vehicle rammed into the crowd:
Daniela Goicoechea told The Independent: “People started running but we didn't know what was happening. There was a lot of people running. Then policemen began chasing people. We were lost, we ran with three babies and hid in a cafe nearby.”
At this time, the local metro has been closed. Additionally, streets surrounding the site of the accident have been shut down.
UPDATE [8/17/17, 1:05 p.m. EST]:
According to pool reports, President Donald Trump has been kept abreast of the situation.
Authorities, according to Fox News, are investigating this as a terrorist attack and suspect a second van may have been involved. People could be heard screaming after the attack as well.
Police have located the second van about 40 miles from the site of the attack.
UPDATE [8/17/17, 1:35 p.m. EST]:
Video has emerged of the carnage from the scene:
According to CNN, local Spanish media is reporting that police have arrested a man in connection to the van.
UPDATE [8/17/17, 2:05 p.m. EST]:
In a statement, the Department of Homeland Security pledged to support the Spanish authorities:
President Trump tweeted his support for Spain and also pledged to help the country:
At least 50 people, according to CNN, were injured in the attack.
UPDATE [8/17/17, 2:40 p.m. EST]:
According to CBS News, Barcelona police denied that a man was holding hostages in a bar, something earlier reports said.
UPDATE [8/17/17, 3:52 p.m. EST]:
The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack, according to the Associated Press:
The announcement came from the group's Aamaq news agency.
UPDATE [8/17/17, 5:00 p.m. EST]:
The death toll, according to the AP, could rise above 13 as some are very badly injured:
A Catalan official updated the number that were injured to 100 and announced three days of mourning after the attack.