UPDATE [10/11/17, 5:35 p.m. ET]:
The Justice Department released a statement on Wednesday, announcing that it would draw from its emergency response funds to provide the $1 million “to assist with the immediate costs of responding to the mass shooting.”
Justice's statement reinforced Trump's description of the money as an “award,” rather than just a transfer of funds. “The grant funds announced today recognize the hard work and dedication of law enforcement officers across Las Vegas and the State of Nevada, who worked tirelessly in the wake of the tragic shooting last week,” the statement read.
On Wednesday, President Donald Trump announced his administration would grant Las Vegas $1 million to assist local law enforcement, although it's unclear from his tweet where he would get the money:
Happy to announce we are awarding $1M to Las Vegas - in order to help local law enforcement working OT to respond to last Sunday’s tragedy.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 11, 2017
The money will help law enforcement who put in extra hours as part of their response to the mass shooting that occurred in Las Vegas on Oct.1. Investigators said this week they were still working to uncover details related to 64-year-old Stephen Paddock's shooting, which resulted in the deaths of 58 people.
Shortly after the shooting, Trump and First Lady Melania visited victims and law enforcement in Las Vegas.
During his visit, Trump told victims he would never leave their side: “We stand together to help you carry your pain. You're not alone. We will never leave your side.”