In early August, North Korea threatened to strike Guam.
President Donald Trump responded to the regime's provocation of words with a threat of his own. “North Korea best not make any more threats to the United States. They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen,” said Trump.
North Korea appeared to back down on its Guam threat shortly after Trump's comments, but now they're on the offensive again. In fact, the rogue state launched another missile. But this time, the weapon made it much farther than previous ones. It reached Japanese airspace.
NBC News reported that:
South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said the missile traveled around 1,677 miles and reached a maximum height of 341 miles as it traveled over the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido early Tuesday local time. It later splashed into the Pacific Ocean.
Seoul says that while the North has previously fired rockets it said were carrying satellites over Japan — in 1998 and 2009 — it has never before used a ballistic missile, which is unambiguously designed for military strikes.
North Korean state media made an announcement following the test, as reported by CNN:
The country's state-run Korean Central News Agency reported leader Kim Jong Un presided over the dawn launch Tuesday of the “ultra-modern rocket system,” the first missile ever fired from the capital Pyongyang.
North Korean officials told CNN in Pyongyang that Kim was “very satisfied with the performance of the missile.”
The North Korean launch was “the first step of the military operation of the (North Korean military) in the Pacific and a meaningful prelude to containing Guam,” state media said.
As Independent Journal Review reported earlier, Trump made it very clear where he stands with North Korea on Wednesday, tweeting, “The U.S. has been talking to North Korea, and paying them extortion money, for 25 years. Talking is not the answer!”