Notifications

Law enforcement made a significant change to its timeline of the Las Vegas massacre Monday, stating the gunman shot a security guard before he opened fire on concertgoers, not after as it previously said.

The next day, MGM Resorts International, the company that owns the Mandalay Bay hotel, was questioning the official police timeline.

In a cryptic statement Tuesday, MGM Resorts International spokeswoman Debra DeShong said the company believes “what is currently being expressed may not be accurate.”

“We cannot be certain about the most recent timeline,” the spokesperson said.

She didn’t provide any additional information or evidence.

Mark Ralston/AFP/Getty Images

The gunman, identified as Stephen Paddock, unleashed a hail of gunfire from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel on Oct. 1, killing 58 people who were attending a country music festival.

Police previously said Paddock stopped the attack when he saw a security guard outside his door. The security guard was shot and wounded. However, investigators are now saying Paddock shot the guard six minutes before the massacre began.

It took police about 75 minutes to breach the shooter's room after the shooting began, according to the Los Angeles Times:

How long did it take Las Vegas police officers to storm into the room at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino where gunman Stephen Paddock was laying down fire on a crowd of 22,000 helpless concertgoers below?

Initial reports suggested it was 72 minutes. Actually, it was 75 minutes, Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said Wednesday, as authorities released their first complete timeline of the Sunday night shooting that left 58 people dead and nearly 500 injured.

However, amid questions about the new timeline, Las Vegas Assistant Sheriff Todd Fasulo said officers “got there as fast as they possibly could and they did what they were trained to do.”