Thanks to the freedoms guaranteed in our founding documents, we enjoy the one of the highest standards of living in the world, we boast the number one economy, and few of us ever have to worry about where our next meal is coming from.
Clearly, we have it great as Americans. To further illustrate how good we really have it, here is a list of 18 things happening in the world that will give you perspective on why we should be especially grateful to live in the land of opportunity and freedom.
1. In Ethiopia: Many women have to walk four to five miles per day to get something as simple as water for their families.
2. In North Korea: Owning a Bible can get you executed or deported to a labor camp.
3. In Pakistan: Since January of 2014, there have been 232 reported terrorist attacks.
4. In Chad: Average life expectancy is only 49 years.
5. In Egypt: Liking a Christianity-themed Facebook status is grounds for six years in prison.
6. In Cuba: A street sweeper makes an average of $19 USD per month, while a brain surgeon brings in $22 USD per month.
7. In Saudi Arabia: It's the only country in the world where it is illegal for women to drive.
8. In Japan: Applying for gun ownership can warrant several background checks, a physical and even police interrogation.
9. In Sub-Sahara Africa: 32% of the population does not have access to adequate nutrition.
10. In Denmark: Baby naming laws require you to name your child from a government-approved list.