Newly revealed footage shows an alleged gang of carjackers calmly stalking their prey in a New Jersey mall's parking lot, even doing at least one dry run to test mall security.
When they did the real thing, their victim, 30-year-old Dustin Friedland, tragically lost his life after being fatally shot.
This is a clear reminder that you may not be as safe as you think you are in public places. A few tips from a safety expert:
- Always park near a light or entrance.
- Pay attention to your surroundings-don't be distracted.
- When shopping, save the most expensive things for last.
Additional safety tips for holiday shopping come from the National Crime Prevention Council.
- Only buy what you can carry unless you have a friend or store employee to help you carry things out to your vehicle.
- Have your keys out and ready to go when you leave the store.
- Consider disposable or re-loadable credit cards instead of shopping with cash or traditional credit cards or debit cards linked to your bank account.
If you see something suspicious, report it immediately to mall security, a store employee or police.