Hillary Clinton has repeatedly refused to apologize for her exclusive use of a personal email server to conduct official business while running the State Department, but on Tuesday, that finally changed.
In an interview with David Muir of ABC News, Clinton said:
"What I had done was allowed, it was above board. But in retrospect, as I look back at it now, even though it was allowed, I should have used two accounts. One for personal, one for work-related emails. That was a mistake. I’m sorry about that. I take responsibility.”
Clinton added that she believes she can “survive” the email scandal.
Watch her apology below, via ABC News:
Tuesday evening, she took to Facebook to offer an apology to her fans and supporters:
“Yes, I should have used two email addresses, one for personal matters and one for my work at the State Department. Not doing so was a mistake. I'm sorry about it, and I take full responsibility.”
Clinton's apology is a dramatic change from earlier interviews. Last week, she declined to apologize in an interview with NBC's Andrea Mitchell, and earlier this week, she told the Associated Press that no apology was coming:
“what I did was allowed.”
In that same interview with Mitchell, when asked whether anyone told her that setting up the email server was a bad idea, Clinton had a pretty simple answer:
In related news, a recent poll found that the two words people most associated with Clinton are “liar” and “dishonest.”