Ryan Lochte's mother, Ileana Lochte, has told multiple media outlets this morning that her son was robbed at gunpoint Saturday night in Rio.

As Yahoo! Sports reports, Ryan and a few other swimmers were invited to a party by Brazilian swimmer Thiago Pereira and were robbed at some point later in the evening.

Image Credit: Getty Images/CHRISTOPHE SIMON/AFP

According to ESPN, Ileana confirmed the report made by Australia's Fox Sports News to USA Today Sports saying that her son and at least one of his U.S. teammates were in fact robbed:

"Ryan's mother told USA Today Sports that her son and the teammate were in a cab heading to meet Pereira when the cab stopped to get gas, and a group of people with guns and knives confronted the swimmers.

“Ryan was unharmed but had his wallet taken. Ileana was on her way to see Ryan later Sunday morning, calling the event 'terrifying.'”

While the International Olympic Committee (IOC) refused to make an initial comment on the robbery, the IOC and Ryan's personal coach are now saying the reports aren't true.

Ryan's coach, David Marsh, disputed the reports in a text message to USA Today Sports saying, the swimmer “was not held up.”

However, as the dialogue continues, the Untied States Olympic Committee released this statement:

“According to four members of the U.S. Olympic Swimming Team (Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger, Jimmy Feigen and Ryan Lochte), they left France House early Sunday morning in a taxi headed for the Olympic Village. Their taxi was stopped by individuals posing as armed police officers who demanded the athletes' money and other personal belongings.”

Ryan spoke out about the incident, describing what happened to NBC earlier this afternoon:

"We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing just a police badge and they pulled us over. They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground — they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so — I'm not getting down on the ground.

“And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, 'Get down,' and I put my hands up, I was like 'whatever.' He took our money, he took my wallet — he left my cell phone, he left my credentials.”

According to the USOC, all four athletes are safe and cooperating with the authorities.

Editor's note: This article was updated after publication.

Be the first to comment!
sort by: latest