As allegations of sexual misconduct continue to pile up against Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.), the Congressional Black Caucus co-founder will announce Tuesday he won't seek re-election, according to a new report.
“He is not resigning. He is going to retire,” Ian Conyers, the grandson of Conyers’s brother, told The New York Times. “His doctor advised him that the rigor of another campaign would be too much for him just in terms of his health.”
The news comes as Democrats call for the veteran lawmaker to resign after multiple women, including women who have worked for the Congressman, have made allegations of sexual misconduct against Conyers.
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who initially received criticism for appearing to stand up for Conyers amid the claims, added her voice to the chorus of lawmakers urging Conyers to step down last week.
“The allegations against Conyers, we have learned more since Sunday, are serious, disappointing, and very credible,” Pelosi said. “Congressman Conyers should resign.”
According to the report, Ian Conyers is set to run for the embattled Michigan representative's seat in the 13th Congressional District.