Suspect Injured in Alleged ISIS-Inspired Attack at NYC Port Authority Bus Terminal

| DEC 11, 2017 | 1:06 PM

UPDATE [12/12/17 8:50 a.m.]:

Ullah was a Brooklyn resident who worked as a cab driver and came to the United States from Bangladesh, according to The New York Times. As President Donald Trump noted in a statement Monday, Ullah came to the U.S. on a family visa

Ullah pledged allegiance to ISIS, claimed he was radicalized online and carried out the attack as retaliation against the U.S. striking ISIS. He appeared to act as a “lone wolf,” targeting an area in Port Authority bus terminal because of its Christmas-themed posters.

The Times had more information on the bomb Ullah used:

The crude, homemade device was assembled by packing match heads into a pipe and was detonated with a broken Christmas tree light powered by a nine-volt battery, according to people with knowledge of the device. The attacker said he learned how to make the bomb online.

The failed detonation prevented the pipe bomb from creating shrapnel and potentially killing others.

Although the attack disrupted transit on Monday, all subway stations opened on Tuesday.

UPDATE: [12/11/17 9:50 a.m.] The suspect has been identified as 27-year-old Akayed Ullah.

Original Story: 

Police apprehended at least one person after an explosion at the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York City on Monday, in what the police commissioner said was an ISIS-inspired attack.

Purported footage of the explosion emerged on social media:

According to reports, the suspect was a man in his 20s and wore a pipe bomb, which failed to properly detonate. The explosion occurred in a below-ground passageway at 42nd Street and 8th Avenue, and it only injured the suspect:

The suspect, reportedly a male in his 20's, came from Bangladesh:

The suspect, according to MSNBC, went to Bellevue Hospital. A purported image of the suspect appeared on social media:

Video and images emerged from the scene:

Both subway and bus service shut down on certain routes, and people evacuated multiple areas. Fox News reported that after police responded to the scene, the terminal closed.

President Donald Trump received a briefing on the situation, as did, according to Fox News, New York City Mayor Bill DeBlasio.

Watch below for reporting on the incident, via CNN.

This is a breaking news story and will be updated as additional information becomes available.