Troops Suing Over Trump Transgender Ban Ask Judge to Abolish It

| JAN 26, 2018 | 9:54 PM
Donald Trump 12-4-17

Plaintiffs suing President Donald Trump over the military’s ban on transgender troops have asked that a federal court permanently stop the administration from instituting the ban.

“The policy excluding transgender people from serving openly in the armed forces has never had a rational justification, still doesn’t and never will,” OutServe-SLDN legal director Peter Perkowski said in a press release. “There is no need for a trial to establish that. This motion asks the Court once and for all to put a permanent top (sic) to a policy so clearly damaging to this nation’s military readiness.”

The motion for summary judgment in Karnoski v. Trump, filed Thursday in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, comes after federal judges granted orders temporarily blocking any ban while that lawsuit and three others are being heard.

Karnoski v. Trump was filed last year by Lambda Legal and Outserve-SLDN on behalf of three transgender plaintiffs — the Human Rights Campaign, the Gender Justice League and the American Military Partner Association — and nine individual plaintiffs.

“Every single federal court to look at President Trump’s policy has already found that it reeks of undisguised and unlawful discrimination against qualified transgender people willing and able to serve our country, and it’s time to put the nail in the coffin for that policy,” Peter Renn, a senior attorney with Lambda Legal, told The Washington Examiner.

Last July, President Trump tweeted he would institute a ban preventing transgender people from serving in the military:

In August, Trump kept his vow and formally ordered the Department of Defense to reverse a 2016 order that allowed transgender individuals to serve openly.