Dick's first made the decision in 2012 after the Sandy Hook Elementary School attack in Newtown, Connecticut. All “assault-style” guns were removed from the store's shelves. Then the company opened a subsidiary called Field & Stream, where the previously removed weapons were, once again, in stock.
Now, the Pennsylvania-based store is stripping “assault-style” weapons from the shelves of all its locations, and at least two 20-year-old staffers are not happy about it.
Alexander DeGarmo, who sold guns in the store until he resigned Friday, said he had no problem with Dick's or CEO Edward Stack until the new directive was sent out in the wake of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, in mid-February.
“Until Edward Stack came out with these absolutely arbitrary and insane rules, I had no issue [working there],” he told Fox News' Neil Cavuto.
In his resignation letter, which he posted to Facebook, DeGarmo called the new restrictions “morally and unconstitutionally wrong" because it "infringe[s] upon the rights” of law-abiding citizens. He said he refuses to work for a company that “pushes for the restriction of the Second Amendment.”
Another 20-year-old employee, Griffin McCullar, also resigned over the company's new policy. In his resignation letter, he said he “cannot be the face of these new gun policies in [effect].” He, too, called the regulations “morally and constitutionally wrong.”