A Nevada woman was scheduled to sing the national anthem ahead of a minor league baseball game this summer, but when the team enacted a new policy preventing her from carrying her gun, she reneged.
“I will not sing our national anthem at a place that seeks to strip me of my Second Amendment rights,” Alishia Wolcott wrote in a letter to the Reno Acres, the Associated Press reported.
The scheduled singer just earned her concealed carry permit earlier this year and planned to bring her Glock 43, a 9mm pistol, to the game, according to the Reno Gazette-Journal.
It's important to note the Acres have always barred fans from carrying guns to games but are now requiring attendees to be checked with metal detectors before they can enter the ballpark.
When Wolcott and her husband noticed the new metal detectors Saturday, they decided simply to go home because they did not want to put their firearms in their vehicle.
“When I walked up to the game on Saturday and saw the way security was checking people,” she recalled, “I realized the hand wand wasn't going to stop someone who has ill intentions.”
She carries a gun because she doesn’t feel safe.
Wolcott, in her letter to the Reno team, said banning responsible gun owners from carrying their weapons has made people like her “vulnerable to attack.”
“You have fallen prey to the absurd idea that American citizens need only trust their government for protection,” she wrote. “This is indeed a lie and a blatant disregard for our constitutional rights.”
She said she does not feel safe walking around at night, in particular, and feels she needs to have a gun for self-defense.
Watch Wolcott's audition video below:
— USA TODAY Sports (@usatodaysports) April 13, 2018
Eric Edelstein, president of the Reno Acres, responded to Wolcott's complaint, noting his team is simply following suit.
“We have joined every other major ticketed sports facility in Reno as well as every Major League Baseball and Major League Soccer venue in the United States in the use of metal detection,” he said.
Edelstein, who noted “fan safety” is his “top priority,” also pointed out that the list of items banned has not been changed since 2009.