Acosta Gets Called Out for Accusing Trump of Using a ‘Broad Brush’ on Asylum Seekers: ‘Plain False’

Kevin Lamarque/Reuters

CNN chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta is coming under fire after he misrepresented President Donald Trump’s comments on asylum seekers.

The president delivered a speech at the White House on Thursday where he laid out a massive overhaul plan to change U.S. immigration laws, including moving to a merit-based system, as IJR Red reported.

Acosta — who’s had previous tensions with the president — accused Trump of using a “broad brush” to paint asylum seekers.

That’s when people were quick to call out Acosta for his misleading claim on what Trump said.

Read below what the president actually said:

“We must also restore the integrity of our broken asylum system. Our Nation has a proud history of affording protection to those fleeing government persecutions. Unfortunately, legitimate asylum seekers are being displaced by those lodging frivolous claims. These are frivolous claims to gain admission into our country. Asylum abuse also strains our public school systems, hospitals, and local shelters.”

See Trump’s full comment below:

“This is just plain false,” Free Beacon’s Alex Griswold tweeted in response.

Check out the reactions:

Additionally, the CNN reporter retweeted a tweet that claims the facts are “fewer than 1 percent of families crossing turn out not to be legitimate.”

However, as then-Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen explained, an “overwhelming majority” of immigrants trying to come into the U.S. are found “not eligible for asylum,” as IJR Red previously reported.

“Only 9 percent of Northern Triangle petitioners are found eligible for asylum by a judge – leaving 91 percent ineligible for asylum,” the DHS previously noted.

“Simply wanting to get a job or connect with family in the U.S. does not make one eligible for asylum,” DHS spokesperson Katie Waldman previously said.

On Thursday, Trump declared that “it’s time” to put “politics aside” to address the crisis at the U.S.-Mexico border.

He added, “And if for some reason — possibly political — we can’t get the Democrats to approve this merit-based, high-security plan, then we will get it approved immediately after the election when we take back the House, keep the Senate, and, of course, hold the presidency.”

What do you think?

Comments

newest oldest most voted
Notify of
Otis
Member

Dumbo Jimbo is a pompous-ass and a hack. I guess he hasn’t done anything asinine in a while so he was compelled to say something to help him make news rather than report it yet again.

Loading…

0

Comments

0 comments

US Judge to Consider Bid to Block Trump’s Emergency Border Wall Funds

Senator Warren Calls for Federal Laws Protecting Abortion Access