A woman in central Virginia won a court case for $1 million in punitive damages after a visit to a nail salon supposedly left her legs permanently scarred.
According to NBC 12, the former owner of the nail salon did not appear in court, refused to send representation, and previously denied the allegations.
In 2012, Samantha Payne went to get a pedicure and came out with an infection.
Several weeks later, she was diagnosed with a cutaneous mycobacterial infection, which causes boils to form on the skin. Several surgical procedures then removed the painful boils.
I'm about to cover some breaking news on a lawsuit I first told you about last June: BREAKING NEWS: A Central…
According to WTVR, Payne filed a complaint with the Virginia Board for Barbers and Cosmetology against Red Nails T & I, a nail salon in Richmond, Va.
The board investigated the company and revoked the company’s license, writing:
“[The salon] was negligent in failing to clean the pedicure chair basins pursuant to the manufacturer’s guidelines.”
The nail salon has since changed ownership and is in good standing with the board.
NBC 12 reports several other nail salons in the central Virginia area have received warnings for not properly cleaning their water basins.
According to podiatrist Dr. Dennis Shavelson, in an interview with Huffington Post, foot basins are hotbeds for bacteria and other diseases:
“These are a breeding ground for mycobacterium (which can produce boils), warts, MRSA (hard to cure infections), athlete’s foot, toenail fungus, HPV and swine flu virus. All of those issues thrive in a warm, wet environment. Request a pipeless drainage system tub as bacteria breeds in pipes. Then make sure all water is drained, the walls are scrubbed and that the nail technician runs a cycle of disinfectant for 10 minutes between clients.”
The law firm that represented Payne hopes that this court case will send a message to salons about the importance of upkeep and cleanliness. Attorney Jamie Kessel said, in a statement:
“This verdict will not undo the pain our client has suffered but it will help generate public awareness for the cleanliness requirements that nail salons and similar businesses are required to follow.”
In the meantime, podiatrist Dr. Jeffrey LaMour, recommends that pedicure customers refrain from shaving their legs, ensure that the nail salon is certified, and to look around for dirty tools.
The money awarded from the lawsuit is expected to help Payne cover her medical bills, lost wages, inconvenience, scarring, and punitive damages.