Note: This article contains coarse language that may offend or disturb some readers.
An infamous white supremacist pleaded guilty to assault and battery charges on Friday due to his actions at the “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, last year, according to The Washington Post.
In addition to being sentenced to two concurrent terms of 12 months, the majority of which was suspended, Christopher Cantwell was asked to leave Virginia within eight hours of his hearing and is barred from entering the state for five years.
Christopher Cantwell, a white supremacist accused of using tear gas during a torch-lit march in Charlottesville, has been banned from the Commonwealth of Virginia for five years. https://t.co/Pd1qQ87uyZ via @cbs6
— Oren Segal (@orensegal) July 21, 2018
Cantwell gained attention after he was featured in a Vice documentary following the “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville.
“We’re not nonviolent, we’ll f**king kill these people if we have to,” he said on camera.
Later, as seen in the documentary, 32-year-old counter-protester Heather Heyer was killed by a car ramming through the crowd.
“The fact that nobody on our side died, I’d go ahead and call that points for us,” he said after her death was announced.
Then, police issued a warrant for his arrest. He wasn’t involved in the deadly car attack, but he was involved in other violence during the clashing protests.
Cantwell posted an odd video online where he teared up speaking about his fear of going to jail. Viewers made fun of his emotional reaction and dubbed him the “Crying Nazi.”
The sentencing of the self-declared white nationalist comes just weeks before the anniversary of the Charlottesville rallies that continue to spark tension to this day.
Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen stirred up controversy this week when she didn’t blame the white nationalist side for violence in Charlottesville. Instead, she echoed President Donald Trump’s statement that there was violence on “both sides.”