White House counselor to the president Kellyanne Conway is blasting Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-Texas) over his controversial tweet publicizing information of individuals who donated to President Donald Trump’s 2020 re-election campaign.
Castro made it clear that he found it “sad to see” people donating to the president’s campaign, as he revealed the name’s and employment information of 44 of the major donators.
“Their contributions are fueling a campaign of hate that labels Hispanic immigrants as ‘invaders,” he suggested.
Castro is the twin brother of 2020 Democratic presidential hopeful Julián Castro (D-Texas) and is his brother’s campaign chairman.
As IJR Red previously reported, Castro sparked outrage over his tweets as he was pummeled on social media for it.
“COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!” Trump’s 2020 campaign national press secretary Kayleigh McEnany tweeted. “[…] The Castro campaign should answer for this unacceptable behavior!”
See Castro’s post below:
Their contributions are fueling a campaign of hate that labels Hispanic immigrants as ‘invaders.’ pic.twitter.com/YT85IBF19u
— Joaquin Castro (@Castro4Congress) August 6, 2019
Asked her response to Castro’s tweet, Conway told Fox News on Wednesday that the Democratic congressman “should take the tweet down” and “apologize to those individuals and he should set a better example as a member of Congress whose his twin brother happens to be running for president.”
Conway said it “doesn’t matter” if the individuals’ information is public record, Castro “put together some kind of target list.”
“He is trying to make life miserable or worse for law-abiding citizens who are expressing their First Amendment right to put their money where their politics is. They support the president. They want him reelected, … but they are private citizens.”
Conway added that as a member of Congress, Castro “has responsibility and accountability to try to protect the population, not to try to make them a target.”
Watch the video below:
Castro was pressed by MSNBC’s Willie Geist on Thursday about the tweet, in which Castro said, “I don’t want anybody harassed or targeted.” Geist pushed back: “But they will be because you put their names in public.” Castro responded, “I would think twice about supporting a guy who is fueling hate in this country.”
According to Fox News, one of the Trump donors, Wayne Harwell, mentioned on Castro’s list had previously donated to the Democratic congressman but he said he’s “not going to give money to him” any longer.
“I think some of the Democratic rhetoric is more hateful than some of Trump’s rhetoric,” Harwell told Fox News. “I think the San Antonio community needs to take a real deep look at what Castro is doing. Why is he doing this?”