Florida Governor Rick Scott said on Friday that FBI Director Christopher Wray’s mea culpa wasn’t enough and that he should resign after his agency failed to notify a field office about prior warnings against alleged shooter Nikolas Cruz.
“Seventeen innocent people are dead and acknowledging a mistake isn’t going to cut it,” Scott said in a statement.
His comments followed an FBI admission that it failed to follow protocol when it received a warning in January about Cruz’s threatening behavior.
“We have spoken with victims and families,” Wray said, “and deeply regret the additional pain this causes all those affected by this horrific tragedy.”
The FBI’s Friday statement revealed that someone close to Cruz warned about his “gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting.”
Authorities charged Cruz with 17 counts of murder after he allegedly opened fire on students and adults at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, where he previously was a student.
“An apology will never bring these 17 Floridians back to life or comfort the families who are in pain,” Scott said.
On the day after the shooting, President Donald Trump tweeted a reminder that people “must always report” people like Cruz to the authorities:
So many signs that the Florida shooter was mentally disturbed, even expelled from school for bad and erratic behavior. Neighbors and classmates knew he was a big problem. Must always report such instances to authorities, again and again!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 15, 2018
But, according to Governor Scott, the FBI was the one that failed to act on one of those warnings.
“We constantly promote ‘see something, say something,’ and a courageous person did just that to the FBI. And the FBI failed to act,” he said.
“The FBI Director needs to resign,” he added.