On Monday, Fox News confirmed that it joined a list of other media outlets which opted to stop airing a controversial political ad that warned about the migrant caravan coming from Central America.
The ad, provided by President Donald Trump’s campaign, drew backlash and accusations of racism.
CNN refused to run this ad… I guess they only run fake news and won’t talk about real threats that don’t suit their agenda. Enjoy. Remember this on Tuesday. #vote #voterepublican pic.twitter.com/VyMm7GhPLX
— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) November 3, 2018
It’s unclear why Fox News decided to drop the ad after running it six times (eight on Fox Business), but news of its decision came amid criticism that NBC aired the video during Sunday night football.
As IJR previously noted, Hollywood producer Judd Apatow provoked an onslaught of attacks on NBC after he tweeted about the ad on Sunday.
So @nbc and @Comcast aired that racist Trump caravan commercial during the football game. Who made that decision? How did they decide it was ok? I am disgusted that you would air that after @cnn refused to air it because it is explicitly racist. Shame on you. @NBCNews
— Judd Apatow (@JuddApatow) November 5, 2018
By Monday, news surfaced that NBC would no longer air the ad.
“After further review, we recognize the insensitive nature of the ad and have decided to cease airing it across our properties as soon as possible,” the network said.
Fox issued a similar statement without any specific criticism of the ad’s content. When IJR asked Fox News for the reasoning behind the decision, it responded with a statement previously reported by CNN.
“Upon further review, FOX News pulled the ad yesterday and it will not appear on either FOX News Channel or FOX Business Network,” the statement read.
As Axios noted, Facebook and CNN similarly removed the ad.
CNN has made it abundantly clear in its editorial coverage that this ad is racist. When presented with an opportunity to be paid to take a version of this ad, we declined. Those are the facts. 🍎
— CNN Communications (@CNNPR) November 3, 2018
“This ad violates Facebook’s advertising policy against sensational content so we are rejecting it. While the video is allowed to be posted on Facebook, it cannot receive paid distribution,” a Facebook spokesperson reportedly said.