A gunman killed 12 people in a bar in Thousand Oaks, California Wednesday night including a young man who survived the deadliest shooting in modern American history just over a year ago.
Telemachus Orfanos, 27, survived the 2017 Las Vegas shooting that claimed the lives of 59 people.
His devastated parents are speaking out.
“My son was in Las Vegas with a lot of his friends and he came home. He didn’t come home last night,” his mother Susan Schmidt-Orfanos told ABC News. “And I don’t want prayers. I don’t want thoughts. I want gun control, and I hope to God nobody else sends me any more prayers. I want gun control. No more guns!”
Watch the video below:
“I hope to God no one sends me anymore prayers. I want gun control. No more guns!” – mother of shooting victim Telemachus Orfanos. She says he survived the #LasVegasShooting but did not survive the #ThousandOaksMassacre. @ABC7 @ABCNewsLive pic.twitter.com/UMqTY1RATK
— Veronica Miracle (@ABC7Veronica) November 8, 2018
Schmidt-Orfanos continued her message in an interview with Buzzfeed News. “Gun control now, now, now, now,” she said. “No more NRA, no more money, gun control now, thank you.”
The victim’s father spoke out as well.
“It’s particularly ironic that after surviving the worst mass shooting in modern history, he went on to be killed in his hometown,” he told the Ventura County Star.
Telemachus Orfanos, who went by Tel, was a survivor of the Route 91 Harvest music festival mass shooting in Las Vegas last year, his mother said. On Wednesday, he was killed at Borderline. https://t.co/9h9NcevNtF pic.twitter.com/VPy5NLTGNU
— Jon Passantino (@passantino) November 8, 2018
Multiple survivors Thousand Oaks shooting at a country bar were also survivors of the Las Vegas shooting at a country concert.
More family members are facing the news that their loved ones are lost. The father of 22-year-old victim Cody Coffman faced reporters right after he heard the news his son was lost.
“Cody was the big brother that my kids need,” he said Thursday. “I have a daughter coming on the 29th of this month. He was so excited to have his first sister — now she’ll never know.”
Watch the video below:
"I've been here fighting for him all morning long, and we did just get the news that he was one of the 11 killed last night. He was Cody Coffman, my first-born son." https://t.co/8y4X8kTCHE #borderline pic.twitter.com/bAJWN0iQ0F
— NBC Los Angeles (@NBCLA) November 8, 2018
The gunman was identified as a 29-year-old marine veteran. Authorities are saying he died from a self-inflicted gun wound.
All of the victims have now been identified: