Our forty-third President George W. Bush turned 71 on Thursday. In his glorious 71 years of meme-worthy life, Bush has certainly created an unforgettable style and endeared himself to America and, frankly, the world, for better or worse.
The former president, who took his lumps in office, has seen a resurgence in popularity since his term ended nearly a decade ago. Websites that posted content longing for his impeachment once now publish writers who “Thank God” for his existence.
In the tradition of past Bush presidencies, W. has conducted himself as a gentleman after leaving office, being kind to his predecessors and philanthropic to the people he wished to lead. W., in his own way, is masterfully creating another legacy after his presidency: winning over critics through kindness, mediocre paintings, and ponchos.
So we give you, the 71 most W. moments in history. Enjoy.
1. George W. Bush, the common man of struggle.Twitter/@realBushPoncho
2. W. FASHION ICON.Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images
3. W. FASHION ICON!Kevin Larkin/AFP/Getty Images
4. W. BUSH IS A FASHION GOD.Jim Watson/AFP/Getty Images
5. George W. Bush, dodgeball champion.
[gif_wrapper url=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/abc_george_bush_shoe_wy_140411.gif width=’100%’ ar=0.6671875 background=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/abc_george_bush_shoe_wy_140411.gif]
6. W.’s expressions.Brendan Smialowski/AFP/Getty Images
7. His ability with doors.
[gif_wrapper url=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/anigif_enhanced-buzz-22454-1366904047-5.gif width=’100%’ ar=0.75333333333333 background=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/anigif_enhanced-buzz-22454-1366904047-5.gif]
[gif_wrapper url=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/anigif_enhanced-buzz-17479-1366904072-17.gif width=’100%’ ar=0.7525 background=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/anigif_enhanced-buzz-17479-1366904072-17.gif]
8. W.’s sense of humor.Saul Loeb/AFP/Getty Images Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
9. His hunger for more.Tim Sloan/Getty Images
10. George W. Bush, dancing.Rick Wilking/AFP/Getty Images
11. George W. Bush, dancing.Jim Watson/AFP/Getty Images
12. George W. Bush, dancing.
[gif_wrapper url=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/anigif_enhanced-buzz-16317-1384975609-1.gif width=’100%’ ar=0.56444444444444 background=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/anigif_enhanced-buzz-16317-1384975609-1.gif]
13. George W. Bush, dancing.
[gif_wrapper url=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/RYgqqnr.gif width=’100%’ ar=0.56444444444444 background=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/RYgqqnr.gif]
14. George W. Bush, dancing.
[gif_wrapper url=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/2015-08-28-16_04_38.gif width=’100%’ ar=0.56363636363636 background=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/2015-08-28-16_04_38.gif]
15. George W. Bush, dancing.
[gif_wrapper url=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/2015-08-28-16_04_58.gif width=’100%’ ar=0.56363636363636 background=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/2015-08-28-16_04_58.gif]
16. George W. Bush, dancing.Nicholas Kamm/AFP/Getty Images
17. George W. Bush, dancing.Nicholas Kamm/AFP/Getty Images
18. George W. Bush, dancing.Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images
19. George W. Bush, dancing.Joe Raedle/Getty Images
20. George W. Bush, dancing.Joe Raedle/Getty Images
21. W.’s love of Laura.Steve Wilson/Getty Images
22. The fact that Laura calls him “Bushy” as a nickname.Mike Stone/Getty Images
23. When he dropped his dog Barney in front of horrified schoolgirls.
[gif_wrapper url=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/anigif_enhanced-buzz-22386-1366904099-24.gif width=’100%’ ar=0.64070351758794 background=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/anigif_enhanced-buzz-22386-1366904099-24.gif]
24. “But he is OK, guys.”Paul J. Richards/AFP/Getty Images
25. “Now watch this…”Rod Aydelotte/Pool/Getty Images
26. “… oh, crap.”Stephen Jaffe/AFP/Getty Images
27. The W. dainty-wave.Ron Sachs/Pool/Getty Images
28. He is seriously the master of the dainty-wave.Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
29. W.’s love of music.Saul Loeb/AFP/Getty Images
30. W. finding his footing.
[gif_wrapper url=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/anigif_enhanced-buzz-17965-1366900247-6.gif width=’100%’ ar=0.78861788617886 background=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/anigif_enhanced-buzz-17965-1366900247-6.gif]
31. W’s emotion.Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images
32. His love for the troops.Reynaldo Ramon/Getty Images
33. Love for the troops.Alex Wong/Getty Images
34. Love for the troops.Luke Frazza/AFP/Getty Images
35. Love for the troops.Paul J. Richards/AFP/Getty Images
36. Love for the troops.Alex Wong/Getty Images
37. Love for the troops.Jim Watson/AFP/Getty Images
38. Love for the troops.Chris Kleponis/Pool/Getty Images
39. Love for the troops.Eric Draper/Getty Images
40. Love for the troops and their families.Mark Wilson/Getty Images Mark Wilson/Getty Images Mark Wilson/Getty Images
41. His treatment of soldiers like human beings.Tim Rooke/Pool/Getty Images Gregg Newton/AFP/Getty Images
42. W.’s need to kiss everyone.Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images
43. W.’s need to kiss everyone.Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images
44. W.’s need to kiss everyone.Brendan Hoffman/Getty Images
45. W.’s need to kiss everyone.Shawn Thew/AFP/Getty Images
46. W.’s need to kiss everyone.Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images
47. W.’s need to kiss everyone.Tom Pennington/Getty Images
48. W.’s need to kiss everyone.Gary Miller/WireImage Gary Miller/WireImage
49. W.’s need to kiss everyone.Luke Frazza/AFP/Getty Images
50. W.’s need to also hug everyone.Zach Gibson/AFP/Getty Images
51. Like, really hug.Paul J. Richards/AFP/Getty Images
52. Like, really hug.Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
53. Like, really hug.Paul J. Richards/AFP/Getty Images
54. Like, really hug.Jim Watson/AFP/Getty Images
55. Like, really hug.Brendan Hoffman/Getty Images
56. W.’s raw humanity.Jim Watson/AFP/Getty Images
57. Like when he visited the Little Sisters of the Poor on Christmas.Jim Watson/AFP/Getty Images
58. And when he showed a bit too much raw humanity.
[gif_wrapper url=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/giphy-2.gif width=’100%’ ar=0.8 background=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/giphy-2.gif]
59. When Bush was at his very best.
60. And just being a regular dude.
[gif_wrapper url=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/anigif_enhanced-buzz-14560-1366900251-15-1.gif width=’100%’ ar=0.78861788617886 background=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/anigif_enhanced-buzz-14560-1366900251-15-1.gif]
61. When he gained the trust of even the most mistrustful people.Drew Angerer/Getty Images
62. How he tries to use his fame for good.Monirul Bhuiyan/AFP/Getty Images
63. Even if it’s the best he’s got.Fox News
64. W. will still try.Tim Sloan/AFP/Getty Images
65. Winning over some of his biggest critics.
66. Being a happy daddy and granddaddy.
67. And an all-around, great family guy.
68. W. reaching across the aisle.Saul Loeb/AFP/Getty Images
69. W. knowing he is a legend.Brendan Smialowski/AFP/Getty Images
70. W. He does not care anymore.
[gif_wrapper url=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/anigif_enhanced-buzz-14614-1366900292-9.gif width=’100%’ ar=0.78861788617886 background=https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/anigif_enhanced-buzz-14614-1366900292-9.gif]
71. But he cares about you.
Gerald Herbert/Associated Press