2020 Democratic primary presidential candidate and former Rep. John Delaney (D-Md.) took aim at the Democratic National Committee (DNC) for barring Fox News from hosting primary debates, calling the move “a bad decision.”
While appearing on Hugh Hewitt’s radio show, the Democratic presidential hopeful was asked why his primary opponents would not appear on Hewitt’s conservative show. Delaney answered that it was “for the same reason why the DNC” chose not to allow Fox News to host any of the Democratic primary debates while slamming the DNC’s choice as “a bad decision.”
Delaney was then asked to expand on why he considered the DNC’s ban a bad move. He said:
“Yeah, because listen, I think we have to talk to everyone. And in many ways, we have a much bigger obligation to talk to those who we don’t agree with on things, right? Because we should get back…”
DNC Chairman Tom Perez announced earlier this month that the DNC would be barring Fox News from hosting the Democratic presidential primary debates, citing a recent article from The New Yorker alleging that Fox News promotes the Trump administration’s agenda.
“Recent reporting in the New Yorker on the inappropriate relationship between President Trump, his administration and Fox News has led me to conclude that the network is not in a position to host a fair and neutral debate for our candidates,” Perez told The Washington Post.
Perez also stated in an interview with CNN’s Chris Cuomo that he “needed to have 100 percent confidence before we sign up in a debate” continuing on to say that he did not “have that confidence anymore in Fox.”
Watch the video below:
"I need to have 100% confidence before we sign up in a debate…that there's going to be no interference from the highest levels of your news org. …I don't have that confidence anymore in Fox," says DNC Chair Tom Perez on move to ban Fox News from hosting primary debates. pic.twitter.com/rGSHSmvvJW
— Cuomo Prime Time (@CuomoPrimeTime) March 7, 2019
The move has been decried by many, including Fox News’ Bret Baier, who said it “was really a shame” that the DNC decided to not include the network, as IJR Red previously reported.
That’s really a shame. When it comes to fairness – our news product speaks for itself. We will continue to cover this 2020 race fairly & will continue to invite Democrats- Republicans & Independents on to talk about key issues & substance with our very large viewing audience https://t.co/z0TdftcVmz
— Bret Baier (@BretBaier) March 6, 2019
Additionally, former Obama White House deputy chief of staff for operations Alyssa Mastromonaco slammed the move as “silly” and expressed that she was “disappointed” by the DNC’s decision.