Image Credit: Screenshot/YouTube, Wikimedia/Gage Skidmore
The federal civil lawsuit brought by a woman who claimed presidential candidate Donald Trump raped her when she was 13 has been dropped — again.
The woman, identified as Jane Doe, filed the federal lawsuit last June as Trump was soaring in the polls over his Republican rivals.
She alleged that Trump and hedge fund billionaire Jeffrey Epstein raped her when she was a 13-year-old aspiring model and a guest at a party. Epstein, a friend of Bill and Hillary Clinton who claimed to be with their foundation, is a convicted pedophile. Bill Clinton traveled frequently with Epstein to his private “orgy island” in the past.
The lawsuit, filed in federal court in New York, was dropped without explanation Friday night.
Last week, the woman bringing the lawsuit was reportedly set to hold a news conference at the Los Angeles office of attorney Lisa Bloom.
— Lisa Bloom (@LisaBloom) November 2, 2016
But after the media gathered at her offices for the news conference, Bloom claimed the woman was frightened by unspecified “threats” and canceled the event.
— Joy Reid (@JoyAnnReid) November 2, 2016
Trump’s general counsel Alan Garten said the lawsuit has been nothing more than a “publicity stunt”:
“As I have said before, the allegations are categorically untrue and an obvious publicity stunt aimed at smearing my client.”
Bloom is the daughter of Gloria Allred, who is representing other women claiming a variety of questionable sexual behavior by Trump; from a pornographic movie star being kissed “without permission” to others who claimed he groped them.
Allred, who’s an unabashed backer of Hillary Clinton and was a delegate to the Democratic National Convention, has used her legal hits to help bring down Republicans before elections, such as Herman Cain, California governor candidate Meg Whitman, and Mitt Romney.
Allred has also represented women who brought claims against high profile Democrats such as former San Diego Mayor Bob Filner and disgraced congressman Anthony Weiner, husband of Hillary Clinton aide Huma Abedin.
The move is seen by the Trump camp as an attempt to smear the candidate before the election without having to substantiate the claims.
The plaintiff in the federal case has managed to attract attention to her claims outside of the courtroom, however, by dropping a video last month and engaging in the phantom news conference.
Trump supporters are excoriating the lawsuit on social media:
ANOTHER BS CLAIM DROPPED.
"A woman who accused Donald Trump of raping her as a young girl in the 1990s has… https://t.co/POt4TfINq9
— CitizensForTrump ?? (@Citizens4Trump) November 5, 2016
— Mrs Voter 4 Trump (@Momma4Trump) November 5, 2016
So far there’s been no comment from the woman, her attorneys, or Donald Trump about the lawsuit being dropped.