Remembering and thanking those who have sacrificed their lives for the country, that’s what Veterans Day is all about.
Veterans Day, once known as Armistice Day, and “was largely considered the end of ‘the war to end all wars'” on Nov. 11, 1918, according to the U.S. Department of Defense. The holiday was first celebrated in 1938. The name was later changed to Veterans Day in 1954 following World War II and the Korean War.
As Americans across the country take a moment to honor and celebrate those who fought selflessly for the country, companies are also offering deals to those who served to show their thankfulness.
Check out some of the deals and promotions below:
- Kohl’s is holding a 30% discount at the stores from Thursday to Monday
- Free coffee or Big Gulp at 7-Election on Monday, with their 7-Eleven app
- Free meal at participating Applebee’s locations for active members and veterans on Monday
- Chili’s Grill & Bar is offering a free meal to active military personnel and veterans on Monday
- Buy-one-get-one deal at Chipotle to all military members, veterans, and their spouses on Monday
- An unlimited buffet for free at Cicis Pizza on Veterans day
- Grab a free donut at participating Dunkin’ Donuts locations on Monday
- Red Lobster is giving a free dessert or appetizer from a special menu on Monday to veterans and active-duty military members
- Active duty and veterans get a free meal at Bob Evan’s on Monday
- Get $40 off Amazon Prime for a year, between Nov. 6-11
- Target store-wide 10% coupon available from Nov. 3-11
- Free cup of coffee at participating Starbucks stores on Veterans day
- Receive 20% off regular priced items at Walgreens stores, with Balance Rewards card
“This is just a small way we can give back to our country’s bravest men and women,” Chipotle’s chief communications officer Laurie Schalow said in a statement, adding, “We can’t thank our troops and veterans enough for their services and we hope they enjoy a delicious meal on November 11.”
Some companies are also giving back, including Starbucks, who is donating every 25 cents per cup of coffee sold to two nonprofits for veterans.
While the United States celebrates Veterans Day, other countries like Canada and Australia celebrate “Remembrance Day” on Nov. 11 and Great Britain celebrates it on the Sunday around Nov. 11.