A reporter asked Conway if the first couple have decided whether they will send Barron back to school.
Conway explained it is a decision for his parents to make.
“Oh, that’s a personal decision. I don’t know what Barron’s school has decided and I certainly don’t know what the first couple has decided with respect to their teenage son who I believe is entering high school this year,” Conway said.
Check out her comments below:
Question: "Have [President Trump] and the First Lady decided whether Barron will go back to school?"
Kellyanne Conway: "Oh that's a personal decision." pic.twitter.com/KD9IkbUlSS
— The Hill (@thehill) July 17, 2020
Conway acknowledged not all school districts are the same and not all coronavirus hot spots are the same.
According to Conway, it is not a “one size fits all” solution.
She went on to argue mental health services, child abuse reporting, meal delivery, ability to interact with an adult, and quality education are all done better in a classroom.
Conway noted the different suggestions the administration is receiving for how to safely reopen schools, including more instruction outdoors and a hybrid model of learning where students are in the classroom for three days and out for two.
She expressed her support for allocating more funding to schools.
“I think there should be more money going to education if the Republicans and Democrats agree for that. It just can’t go to the teachers’ unions so they can run ads against Donald Trump,” Conway said.
She continued, “That’s not what it is. It has to go in the classroom, follow the student, and make sure that he or she has the money they need to get this quality education.”
Trump has threatened to “cut off funding” to schools if they choose to remain closed in the fall, as IJR previously reported.
Truth and Accuracy
We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.