Tijuana Mayor Puts His Foot Down on Funding Migrant Caravan Shelters — It’s Costing the City Big Bucks

John Moore/Getty Images and Fox News Insider/YouTube

The city of Tijuana, Mexico was rushed by thousands of Central Americans part of the migrant caravan making their way to the U.S.-Mexico border. Once there, they were stopped at the border and now wait.

Their stay, however, is costing the city of Tijuana a lot of money, leading to its mayor now speaking out about it, saying he may have to cut off funding to shelter the migrants without federal assistance — or else the 1.7 million Tijuana residents could suffer as a result.

Mario Tama/Getty Images

Mayor Juan Manuel Gastélum declared the migrant caravan a “humanitarian crisis” earlier this week, but he’s now saying it’s too much on the city, according to an exclusive with Fox News.

“I’m not going to break public services to solve this problem,” Gastélum told Fox News.

Mario Tama/Getty Images

Sharing what the southern border closing on Sunday was like for his city, Gastélum said Tijuana lost about 129 million pesos within those six hours — which equals $6,323,064.00 USD.

He fears continued support helping the caravan could force him to raise taxes on the Tijuana residents, which would hurt them even more:

“That’s not fair. How do you think people from Tijuana feel towards those people who are making problems?”

According to Fox News, the tent city encampment also was hit with rain and wind overnight, “flooding overcrowded spaces, leaving wet clothes, sleeping bags and litter strewn about an unsanitary and inhumane existence.”

Mario Tama/Getty Images

The mayor of Tijuana added that whoever organized this migrant caravan needs to be held accountable and face criminal charges.

“Those are the real criminals because they’re dealing with the lives of people,” Gastélum said.

Gastélum expressed that the incoming president, Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, who takes on becoming Mexico’s new president on Sunday, must solve this problem “as soon as he gets into office.”

Watch the video below:

As IJR recently noted, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) shared shocking statistics about immigrants who have sought asylum in the U.S.:

“Only 9 percent of Northern Triangle petitioners are found eligible for asylum by a judge – leaving 91 percent ineligible for asylum.”

While many of the Central Americans made their way to the U.S.-Mexico border to flee poverty and violence, the DHS explained that “greater economic opportunity or family reunification are not grounds for claiming asylum.”

What do you think?

12 pledges
Upvote Downvote

Comments

newest oldest most voted
Notify of
Joey Johnson
Member

hilarious. Mexico let them in, expecting them to just walk on through and become America’s problem. HAHA…didn’t happen, hillary the liar lost and obozo the clown is irrelevant history. Trump is in charge now, and thankfully he is protecting us from this huge unneeded long term expense and crime problem. hey Mexico! ENJOY!

Peggy Massey Webb
Member

Mayor, you know how Americans, in general, feel.

Deb Dueno
Member

I can’t figure out what the migrants expect. Did they expect us to shelter them while they waited for asylum? It was their choice to leave on this journey and now they expect to be fed clothed and sheltered. And then some complain that they’re not getting enough charity? Seriously, can someone explain this to me? I don’t want some rant about what these people are leaving. I want to know what they expected to happen when they reached the border.

Betty Parks Lister
Member

Send th back where they came from now

Screwtape
Member

There’s an abject lesson here for those who advocate allowing these and other illegals into the country. It COSTS and in monies that come from and should be spent on citizens. (q: how much did you spend on our native hungry or homeless?)

Now if those who WANT them here will put up or shut up there’s this thing called sponsorship. YOU pay for them–housing, healthcare, food, etc.– and become legally responsible for them.

banstan
Member

Oh how can that be? According to the MSM here in the US, this caravan doesn’t exist. It’s a figment of Trump’s imagination to use in the mid-terms.

Loading…

0

Comments

0 comments

Elizabeth Warren, Christine Blasey Ford

‘We Still Believe You’: Elizabeth Warren Reiterates Support For Christine Blasey Ford

Former President George H.W. Bush Passes Away at Age 94