President Donald Trump will break tradition for the third year in a row and host a campaign rally instead of attending the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner. The president said the dinner is “too negative,” even after the event didn’t hire a comedian this year following conservatives’ outrage at Michelle Wolf’s 2018 performance.
“I’m gonna hold a rally,” Trump told reports Friday when asked if he would go to the dinner later this month. “Because the dinner is so boring and so negative that we’re gonna hold a very positive rally instead.”
Trump admitted he didn’t know where the rally would be held yet. “Everybody wants it, it will be a big one but the Correspondents’ Dinner is too negative, I like positive things.”
Watch the video below:
When asked whether he will attend the White House Correspondents' Dinner or hold a rally, Pres. Trump says "I'm gonna hold a rally," calling the dinner "so boring and so negative."
— ABC News (@ABC) April 5, 2019
The White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner has typically boasted of comedian hosts such as Jay Leno, Wanda Sykes, Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert, and Hassan Minhaj who have delivered remarks making fun of whomever the president was at the time, along with other lawmakers and media personalities.
The president always got a chance for rebuttal and past presidents such as Barack Obama and George W. Bush got a lot of laughs for making fun of the media, politicians, and themselves.
Republican lawmakers and conservative media personalities thought last year’s comedian went too far. Former Daily Show correspondent Michelle Wolf made a number of controversial jokes.
Watch Michelle Wolf’s 2018 performance below, via C-SPAN:
The White House Correspondents’ Association announced in November that historian and biographer Ron Chernow would take over as host in 2019, effectively ditching the comedic tradition of the night.
After the announcement, Trump indicated that he might attend the dinner due to the absence of comedy. “Good first step in comeback of a dying evening and tradition! Maybe I will go?” he wrote at the time.
So-called comedian Michelle Wolf bombed so badly last year at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner that this year, for the first time in decades, they will have an author instead of a comedian. Good first step in comeback of a dying evening and tradition! Maybe I will go?
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 21, 2018
Chernow said in a statement he was asked to attend to “make the case for the First Amendment” and he is planning on addressing freedom of the press in his speech.