Despite President Donald Trump dropping his planned summit with Kim Jong Un last week, the White House revealed on Tuesday that meetings with North Korean officials will move forward as the United States “continues to actively prepare” for the historic meeting.
White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Tuesday that following the president’s stunning letter to Kim, North Korea has “been engaging” and that the United States will continue to “actively prepare for President Trump’s expected summit with leader Kim in Singapore.”
Sanders revealed that the president is set to meet with Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on June 7th at the White House and North Korean Vice Chairman of the Central Committee, Kim Yong Chol, will travel to New York to will meet with Pompeo later this week.
“We also have a U.S. delegation meeting with a North Korean delegation in the DMZ,” Sanders said while also announcing that Joe Hagin, White House Deputy Chief of Staff, and the U.S. pre-advance team are “in Singapore coordinating the logistics of the expected summit.”
The president tweeted out earlier on Tuesday praising North Korea’s “solid response” to his recent letter.
We have put a great team together for our talks with North Korea. Meetings are currently taking place concerning Summit, and more. Kim Young Chol, the Vice Chairman of North Korea, heading now to New York. Solid response to my letter, thank you!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 29, 2018
Trump pulled out of the summit after the rogue nation ratcheted back up its rhetoric toward the United States, threatening nuclear war and calling Vice President Mike Pence a “political dummy.”
“Please let this letter serve to represent that the Singapore summit, for the good of both parties, but to the detriment of the world, will not take place,” Trump wrote.
However, the president did leave the door open for the negotiations to continue, “If you change your mind having to do with this most important summit, please do not hesitate to call me or write.”