Watch: Pro-Abortion Protesters Nearing Breach of Arizona Capitol Until Riot Police Appear on Balcony


In events reminiscent of the Jan. 6 incursion at the national Capitol, pro-abortion protesters tried to break into the Arizona state Senate in Phoenix Friday night while the legislature was still in session.

Pro-abortion protests began at about 7 p.m. in response to the Supreme Court decision issued earlier Friday that overturned Roe v. Wade, according to KTVK-TV.

Police in riot gear responded but remained as onlookers until protesters converged on the Senate building.

Biden Suggests We Could See 'American Troops Fighting Russian Troops' if He Doesn't Get His Way

The protest took an aggressive tone at about 8:45 p.m., when protesters began banging on the windows of the Arizona Senate and trying to break the glass, according to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

Republican Sen. Kelly Townsend called the incident a “hostage” situation.

Will we see more riots this summer over this SCOTUS decision?

“We are currently there being held hostage inside the Senate building due to members of the public trying to breach our security,” Townsend tweeted Friday night. “We smell tear gas and the children of one of the members are in the office sobbing with fear.”

“Appalling to hear some Democrats defending those outside trying to break the glass and breach security,” she also wrote.

Arlington House Explodes As Police Attempt to Execute Search Warrant

Members of the crowd, estimated at several hundred people, began to kick the locked exterior doors in what appeared to be an attempt to force them open.

Shortly after this, tear gas was deployed to disperse the crowd.

The Department of Public Safety said a second use of tear gas was required to clear protesters from nearby Wesley Bolin plaza after a monument was vandalized.

Prior to the use of tear gas, Republican Senate President Karen Fann cleared the floor, describing her action as a response to a “security situation.”

“We are incredibly thankful for our local law enforcement who quickly intervened during what could have been a destructive and dangerous situation for our members, staff and public inside the Senate,” Fann said in a statement.

The Senate later continued its work in a hearing room.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

Truth and Accuracy

Submit a Correction

We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.

, , , , ,
Comment Down Below