White House Reporters Condemn Fake Video Showing Trump Killing Press

Jonathan Ernst/Reuters

The White House Correspondents’ Association (WHCA) condemned on Sunday a video that depicted a fake image of U.S. President Donald Trump slaughtering members of the news media, shown at a gathering of his supporters.

News of the video was first reported by the New York Times after someone who attended the gathering leaked a cell-phone video of it to the newspaper.

“The WHCA is horrified by a video reportedly shown over the weekend at a political conference organized by the president’s supporters,” Jonathan Karl, president of the association, said in a statement.

“All Americans should condemn this depiction of violence directed toward journalists and the president’s political opponents,” he said.

“We have previously told the president his rhetoric could incite violence. Now we call on him and everybody associated with this conference to denounce this video and affirm that violence has no place in our society.”

The video shows Trump’s head superimposed on the body of a man wearing a pinstriped suit opening fire at a “Church of Fake News” with some parishioners faces with logos of various news organizations, the Times reported.

Reuters has not obtained a copy of the video for review and had not been able to contact organizers of the event.

But the political action group hosting the event, American Priority, said in a statement on Twitter that it had not been aware of the video and did not approve it.

“It has come to our attention that an unauthorized video was shown,” the group said, adding that the video had been shown in a “side room.”

“This video was not approved, seen or sanctioned by the … organizers.”

American Priority states on its website it supports free speech as protected by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

A spokesman for Trump’s campaign said he knew nothing about the video, the Times reported.

“That video was not produced by the campaign, and we do not condone violence,” said spokesman Tim Murtaugh.

Trump’s son, Donald Trump Jr, and a former spokeswoman, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, were scheduled to speak at the three-day conference in Miami but the Times reported that neither had seen the video.

“I wasn’t aware of any video, nor do I support violence of any kind against anyone,” Sanders told the Times.

The Times reported that the video appeared to include edited scenes from the 2014 dark comedy “Kingsman: The Secret Service”.

Event organizers, speaking to the Times, denounced the violence in the video and are investigating as to how it was shown.

“American Priority rejects all political violence and aims to promote a healthy dialogue about the preservation of free speech. This matter is under review,” organizer Alex Phillips told the Times.

Trump, during his campaign for re-election for 2020 has repeatedly called the media “the enemy of the people.”

A gunman killed five people in a Maryland newspaper office in 2018 in one of the deadliest attacks on journalists in U.S. history.

(Reporting by Rich McKay; Editing by Robert Birsel)

What do you think?

Comments

newest oldest most voted
Notify of
Tery Gohsman
Member

Why even bother to ask repubs anything, you know you can’t believe a word they say.

General Confusion
Member

“Were you under the impression I was saying differently.” Morte206

It doesn’t matter what the target it, left or right or any inbetween. Too many people feel free to do these things and, as history shows, the source is from one group and targets are obvious. Guns come out when this sort of thing happens. It is stochastic terrorism. Gunmen mow down victims in public areas and newsrooms. Bombs get mailed to suggested or imagined targets. It has to stop, but a lot here have no intention of stopping. They actually encourage doing more.

General Confusion
Member

“And yet I cannot shake the sneaking suspicion that if the video had been produced and shown at a WHCA or other journalistic event and depicted violence towards the WH administration and staff the video would be hailed and praised as “sharp” social commentary. Perhaps, even, nominated and winning the coveted EGOT.” Morte206

BS! There is no room or place for legitimizing this type of threat in this country. It is NOT “social commentary”, it is terrorism against the targets shown in the video. We can’t laugh this off. Anyone who supports this kind of attack is part of the problem.

General Confusion
Member

Have no doubt that this video was made to appeal to supporters of a racist and fascist “leader” who have NO interest in our democracy or our Constitution. They, along with King Donald The Loser, want one-party rule and would be quite willing to participate in eliminating opposition to their king, including political opponents and the media.

I have read the same comments here on IJR that prove my point. You know who you are.

This is dangerous territory and there is not enough pushback against this kind of terrorism.

Morte206
Member

And yet I cannot shake the sneaking suspicion that if the video had been produced and shown at a WHCA or other journalistic event and depicted violence towards the WH administration and staff the video would be hailed and praised as “sharp” social commentary. Perhaps, even, nominated and winning the coveted EGOT.

WARNING: The previous comment was brought to you courtesy of a sleepless night spent watching my newborn niece.

CLEARLY ,THIS VIDEO AND ANY OTHERS LIKE IT, NO MATTER THE POLITICAL PARTY, IS VILE.

Loading…

0

Comments

0 comments

Mexico President Urges USMCA Ratification, Vowing to Implement Labor Reform

Sanders Unveils Economic Plan a Day Before U.S. Democratic Debate