• Latest
  • Trending
  • All
  • News
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
Meta Finally Lifts Lingering Restrictions On Trump Months Out From November

Meta Finally Lifts Lingering Restrictions On Trump Months Out From November

July 12, 2024
Newsom: Family Will Decide Presidential Run

Newsom: Family Will Decide Presidential Run

February 22, 2026
Jamieson Greer Says Trump Still Has ‘Very Durable Tools’ For Tariffs, Trade Deals

Jamieson Greer Says Trump Still Has ‘Very Durable Tools’ For Tariffs, Trade Deals

February 22, 2026
Trump Lauds US Hockey Gold

Trump Lauds US Hockey Gold

February 22, 2026
Scott Bessent Lays Out Future Of Trump’s Tariffs, Trade Deals

Scott Bessent Lays Out Future Of Trump’s Tariffs, Trade Deals

February 22, 2026
US Secret Service Killed Armed Man Attempting To Breach Mar-a-Lago

US Secret Service Killed Armed Man Attempting To Breach Mar-a-Lago

February 22, 2026
ELIZABETH LAWRENCE: Americans Want Illegals Out, Say ICE Goes Too Far

ELIZABETH LAWRENCE: Americans Want Illegals Out, Say ICE Goes Too Far

February 22, 2026
TRON SIMPSON: Ted Nugent Slams Ticketmaster’s Big-Business Price Controls

TRON SIMPSON: Ted Nugent Slams Ticketmaster’s Big-Business Price Controls

February 21, 2026
DAVID BLACKMON: Stellantis Pivots To Diesel – What That Means For Europe’s EV Future

DAVID BLACKMON: Stellantis Pivots To Diesel – What That Means For Europe’s EV Future

February 21, 2026
NY Cardinal Timothy Dolan Reveals How He ‘Was Ticked Off’ By Mamdani, JD Vance’s ‘Scurrilous’ Suggestion

NY Cardinal Timothy Dolan Reveals How He ‘Was Ticked Off’ By Mamdani, JD Vance’s ‘Scurrilous’ Suggestion

February 21, 2026
Trump Announces ‘Legally Tested’ Maximum Tariff Action Against Countries Accused Of ‘Ripping The US Off’

Trump Announces ‘Legally Tested’ Maximum Tariff Action Against Countries Accused Of ‘Ripping The US Off’

February 21, 2026
Reality Star Reveals Cancer Diagnosis, Issues Blunt Screening Warning

Reality Star Reveals Cancer Diagnosis, Issues Blunt Screening Warning

February 21, 2026
EXCLUSIVE: Mike Benz Says Trump Admin Has ‘Once-In-Generation’ Chance To Put Deep State On Defense Post-Epstein Files

EXCLUSIVE: Mike Benz Says Trump Admin Has ‘Once-In-Generation’ Chance To Put Deep State On Defense Post-Epstein Files

February 21, 2026
  • Donald Trump
  • Tariffs
  • Congress
  • Faith
  • Immigration
Sunday, February 22, 2026
  • Login
IJR
  • Politics
  • US News
  • Commentary
  • World News
  • Faith
  • Latest Polls
No Result
View All Result
IJR
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Meta Finally Lifts Lingering Restrictions On Trump Months Out From November

by Daily Caller News Foundation
July 12, 2024 at 8:18 pm
in News, Wire
247 8
0
Meta Finally Lifts Lingering Restrictions On Trump Months Out From November
496
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Daily Caller News Foundation

Tech giant Meta announced Friday it will be lifting former President Donald Trump’s “heightened suspension penalties” on Facebook and Instagram as the 2024 elections grow closer.

President of Global Affairs, Nick Clegg, released an updated statement on the company’s site, announcing the change to the protocols from January 2023, specifically for Trump’s restrictions, in order for users to “hear from political candidates.” The company stated the previous restrictions on Trump had been placed in “response to extreme and extraordinary circumstances” following the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

“In assessing our responsibility to allow political expression, we believe that the American people should be able to hear from the nominees for President on the same basis. As a result, former President Trump, as the nominee of the Republican Party, will no longer be subject to the heightened suspension penalties,” Clegg wrote.

In 2021, Facebook received backlash from President Joe Biden’s White House over its stance on posts regarding COVID-19 as the president accused the tech company for “killing people” due to their lack of censoring of so-called COVID misinformation.

Reports later revealed the White House had pressed Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg in 2021 to censor former Fox News host and Daily Caller co-founder Tucker Carlson for stating the COVID-19 vaccines “don’t work,” according to documents released by then-Republican Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry. Facebook executives described the tension as a “knife fight” with the White House officials over the issue, according to a House Judiciary Committee report released in May.

“In reaching this conclusion, we also considered that these penalties were a response to extreme and extraordinary circumstances, and have not had to be deployed. All US Presidential candidates remain subject to the same Community Standards as all Facebook and Instagram users, including those policies designed to prevent hate speech and incitement to violence,” Clegg continued.

After the Capitol riot in January 2021, Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced an indefinite ban for the former president on both Facebook and Instagram, stating Trump had “clearly demonstrated his intent “to use his remaining time in office to undermine the peaceful and lawful transition of power to his elected successor, Joe Biden.”

However, nearly two years later the social media platforms revived Trump’s accounts, revealing in January 2023 that the former president would be allowed back on the sites and introducing a new “Crisis Policy Protocol” to guide their “assessment of on and off-platform risks of imminent harm.”

During Trump’s time off of Meta’s platforms, the former president turned to his own social media site, Truth Social, which is owned by Trump Media & Technology Group (TMTG). While it is unclear if the former president will be utilizing the platforms for his 2024 campaign, TMTG’s contract with Trump from 2023 states that the president is “generally obligated to make any social media post on TruthSocial” first, prior to posts on other social platforms “for 6 hours.”

The announcement from the tech company comes just days prior to the Republican National Convention (RNC) which is set to start July 15 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

The Trump campaign didn’t immediately respond to the Daily Caller News Foundation’s request for comment.

(Featured Image Media Credit: Flickr/Gage Skidmore)

All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporter’s byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact [email protected].

Tags: DCNFU.S. NewsUS
Share198Tweet124
Daily Caller News Foundation

Daily Caller News Foundation

Advertisements

Top Stories June 10th
Top Stories June 7th
Top Stories June 6th
Top Stories June 3rd
Top Stories May 30th
Top Stories May 29th
Top Stories May 24th
Top Stories May 23rd
Top Stories May 21st
Top Stories May 17th

Join Over 6M Subscribers

We’re organizing an online community to elevate trusted voices on all sides so that you can be fully informed.





IJR

    Copyright © 2024 IJR

Trusted Voices On All Sides

  • About Us
  • GDPR Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
  • Editorial Standards & Corrections Policy
  • Subscribe to IJR

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Thanks for reading IJR

Create your free account or log in to continue reading

Please enter a valid email
Forgot password?

By providing your information, you are entitled to Independent Journal Review`s email news updates free of charge. You also agree to our Privacy Policy and newsletter email usage

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • US News
  • Commentary
  • World News
  • Faith
  • Latest Polls

    Copyright © 2024 IJR

Top Stories June 10th Top Stories June 7th Top Stories June 6th Top Stories June 3rd Top Stories May 30th Top Stories May 29th Top Stories May 24th Top Stories May 23rd Top Stories May 21st Top Stories May 17th