• Latest
  • Trending
  • All
  • News
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
DAVID BLACKMON: Stellantis Pivots To Diesel – What That Means For Europe’s EV Future

DAVID BLACKMON: Stellantis Pivots To Diesel – What That Means For Europe’s EV Future

February 21, 2026
TRON SIMPSON: Ted Nugent Slams Ticketmaster’s Big-Business Price Controls

TRON SIMPSON: Ted Nugent Slams Ticketmaster’s Big-Business Price Controls

February 21, 2026
NY Cardinal Timothy Dolan Reveals How He ‘Was Ticked Off’ By Mamdani, JD Vance’s ‘Scurrilous’ Suggestion

NY Cardinal Timothy Dolan Reveals How He ‘Was Ticked Off’ By Mamdani, JD Vance’s ‘Scurrilous’ Suggestion

February 21, 2026
Trump Announces ‘Legally Tested’ Maximum Tariff Action Against Countries Accused Of ‘Ripping The US Off’

Trump Announces ‘Legally Tested’ Maximum Tariff Action Against Countries Accused Of ‘Ripping The US Off’

February 21, 2026
Reality Star Reveals Cancer Diagnosis, Issues Blunt Screening Warning

Reality Star Reveals Cancer Diagnosis, Issues Blunt Screening Warning

February 21, 2026
EXCLUSIVE: Mike Benz Says Trump Admin Has ‘Once-In-Generation’ Chance To Put Deep State On Defense Post-Epstein Files

EXCLUSIVE: Mike Benz Says Trump Admin Has ‘Once-In-Generation’ Chance To Put Deep State On Defense Post-Epstein Files

February 21, 2026
Sheriff Keeping Tight Grip on Guthrie Kidnapping Probe, Insider Claims

Sheriff Keeping Tight Grip on Guthrie Kidnapping Probe, Insider Claims

February 21, 2026
Mayweather Ends Retirement, Targets Record-Breaking Return

Mayweather Ends Retirement, Targets Record-Breaking Return

February 21, 2026
Ex-UConn Standout Convicted in $328M Medicare Genetic Testing Fraud

Ex-UConn Standout Convicted in $328M Medicare Genetic Testing Fraud

February 21, 2026
DEBBIE LESKO: The Road To True Election Integrity In America

DEBBIE LESKO: The Road To True Election Integrity In America

February 21, 2026
Conan O’Brien Recalls Final Night With Reiners Before Shocking Double Murder

Conan O’Brien Recalls Final Night With Reiners Before Shocking Double Murder

February 21, 2026
UK Government Weighs Removing Former Prince Andrew From Succession After Arrest

UK Government Weighs Removing Former Prince Andrew From Succession After Arrest

February 21, 2026
Trump’s New Executive Order Invoking The Defense Production Act Draws Attention

Trump’s New Executive Order Invoking The Defense Production Act Draws Attention

February 20, 2026
  • Donald Trump
  • Tariffs
  • Congress
  • Faith
  • Immigration
Saturday, February 21, 2026
  • Login
IJR
  • Politics
  • US News
  • Commentary
  • World News
  • Faith
  • Latest Polls
No Result
View All Result
IJR
No Result
View All Result
Home Commentary

DAVID BLACKMON: Stellantis Pivots To Diesel – What That Means For Europe’s EV Future

by Daily Caller News Foundation
February 21, 2026 at 8:55 pm
in Commentary, Op-Ed, Wire
306 19
0
DAVID BLACKMON: Stellantis Pivots To Diesel – What That Means For Europe’s EV Future

dailycaller.com

633
SHARES
1.8k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Daily Caller News Foundation

In what has to be one of the most predictable and sensible corporate U-turns of the decade, Stellantis  – the sprawling auto umbrella that owns Vauxhall, Peugeot, Citroën, Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Jeep and a dozen other brands — is quietly bringing diesel engines back to life across Europe.

The strategic pivot comes after the company was forced to swallow a staggering £19 billion ($24 billion-plus) hit from its rushed electric vehicle gamble, causing the world’s fourth-largest automaker to decide maybe, just maybe, customers know what they want better than Brussels bureaucrats and Davos visionaries.

Starting late last year, Stellantis began reintroducing diesel powertrains in at least seven models: the Peugeot 308 hatchback, the premium DS 4, the Opel Astra, commercial and passenger vans like the Opel Combo, Peugeot Rifter and Citroën Berlingo, plus continued diesel options in Alfa Romeo’s Tonale, Stelvio and Giulia, and the DS7 SUV. Company spokesmen put it plainly: “We have decided to keep diesel engines in our product portfolio and — in some cases — to increase our powertrain offer. At Stellantis, we want to generate growth; that’s why we are focused on customer demand.”

Translation: The EV sales slump isn’t a temporary blip. It’s a market rejection, plain and simple.

Stellantis CEO Antonio Filosa was even more direct when announcing the massive impairment charges earlier this month. The £19 billion write-down, he said, “largely reflect[s] the cost of over-estimating the pace of the energy transition that distanced us from many car buyers’ real-world needs, means and desires.” Man, nobody could’ve seen that coming – if only someone had warned him that would happen!

Europe’s diesel market share cratered from roughly 50 percent in 2015 to just 7.7 percent last year, thanks to the post-Dieselgate hysteria and relentless regulatory pressure. EVs clawed their way to 19.5 percent of new sales, but that wasn’t nearly enough to offset the collapse in traditional powertrains or satisfy the arbitrary 2030 all-EV targets Stellantis and its peers once embraced. Sales for the company in Europe fell 3.9 percent in 2025 after a 7.3 percent drop the year before. Customers simply refused to trade their practical, affordable, long-range diesels for expensive battery-powered contraptions that struggle in cold weather, take hours to “refuel,” and cost a fortune to insure and repair.

The irony is thicker than an EU central planner’s head. With Chinese EV makers flooding the market with cheap, subsidized EVs and hybrid options, Stellantis is using diesel as a competitive moat — because nothing the Chinese are shipping right now can match a modern, clean diesel for torque, range and towing capacity on a long European motorway haul.

One analyst at CarGurus noted, diesel “still makes sense for car buyers that need to drive long distances without refueling or who need more power to tow trailers.” But the truth is that diesel makes sense for all driving needs unless you cling to the global climate alarm religion whose dogma dictates that atmospheric plant food is some sort of global thermostat that humans can and must control.

Should Stellantis continue to focus on diesel engines instead of electric vehicles in Europe?

Completing this poll entitles you to our news updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Support: 0% (0 Votes)
Oppose: 0% (0 Votes)

This reversal comes as the EU itself waters down its draconian emissions targets, and the Trump administration in Washington repeals Biden-era tailpipe rules that were never grounded in engineering reality anyway. The message from the market could not be clearer: You cannot command consumer behavior into existence with subsidies, mandates and virtue-signaling press releases.

Here in the United States, the same reality is playing out. Ford has slashed Mustang Mach-E production, GM has idled EV assembly lines, and Stellantis itself has walked back its own 50-percent EV sales goal for America by 2030. The Inflation Reduction Act’s lavish taxpayer bribes are long gone, and suddenly the “inevitable” transition looks a lot like a very expensive detour.

I’ve been writing about this for years at the Daily Caller. The physics and economics of battery technology have never supported the timelines politicians demanded. Lithium-ion batteries remain expensive, heavy, fire-prone and dependent on supply chains dominated by adversarial nations. The industry has never solved for issues and limiters that have plagued EVs for more than a century. And most importantly, working families and small businesses prioritize reliability and affordability over performative environmentalism.

If the era of government forced EV mania is ending, that is great news for everyone, whether they realize it or not.

David Blackmon is an energy writer and consultant based in Texas. He spent 40 years in the oil and gas business, where he specialized in public policy and communications.

The views and opinions expressed in this commentary are those of the author and do not reflect the official position of the Daily Caller News Foundation.

(Featured Image Media Credit: Official White House Photo by Adam Schultz)

All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporter’s byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact [email protected].

Tags: big-tent-ideasDCNFU.S. News
Share253Tweet158
Daily Caller News Foundation

Daily Caller News Foundation

Advertisements

Top Stories June 10th
Top Stories June 7th
Top Stories June 6th
Top Stories June 3rd
Top Stories May 30th
Top Stories May 29th
Top Stories May 24th
Top Stories May 23rd
Top Stories May 21st
Top Stories May 17th

Join Over 6M Subscribers

We’re organizing an online community to elevate trusted voices on all sides so that you can be fully informed.





IJR

    Copyright © 2024 IJR

Trusted Voices On All Sides

  • About Us
  • GDPR Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
  • Editorial Standards & Corrections Policy
  • Subscribe to IJR

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Thanks for reading IJR

Create your free account or log in to continue reading

Please enter a valid email
Forgot password?

By providing your information, you are entitled to Independent Journal Review`s email news updates free of charge. You also agree to our Privacy Policy and newsletter email usage

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • US News
  • Commentary
  • World News
  • Faith
  • Latest Polls

    Copyright © 2024 IJR

Top Stories June 10th Top Stories June 7th Top Stories June 6th Top Stories June 3rd Top Stories May 30th Top Stories May 29th Top Stories May 24th Top Stories May 23rd Top Stories May 21st Top Stories May 17th