Rep. Ilhan Omar is rejecting allegations tying her to Minnesota’s sprawling Feeding Our Future fraud scandal, while also pointing the finger at policies implemented during President Donald Trump’s administration.
According to Fox News, the Minnesota Democrat addressed the controversy on Wednesday after facing increasing scrutiny over her alleged connections to the case, which involved hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars intended for child nutrition programs.
“Any claim that I had knowledge of this scheme is flat-out false,” Omar said in a written statement to Fox News Digital.
Omar also defended legislation she supported during the COVID-19 pandemic, arguing that the program changes criticized by opponents were ultimately implemented under Trump’s administration.
“The MEALS Act was signed into law by President Trump and passed with bipartisan support as part of a broader legislative package,” she said.
“Trump’s USDA Secretary set the regulatory framework during the rollout of the program. I have always championed feeding kids and will continue to ensure our children do not go hungry.”
The congresswoman added that she sought accountability once the fraud allegations became public.
“The moment this fraud came to light,” Omar said, “she immediately sent a letter to the USDA Secretary demanding answers and accountability.”
“As I stated from the beginning, stealing millions of dollars under the guise of feeding hungry children to bankroll lavish lifestyles and extravagant expenses is reprehensible,” she continued.
“I’m grateful that Aimee Bock and every individual involved in this abhorrent scheme are being held accountable for defrauding taxpayers and betraying vulnerable children.”
The controversy surrounding Feeding Our Future has become one of the largest fraud scandals in Minnesota history.
State lawmakers investigating the matter have pressed Omar for information about what she may have known regarding the operation and whether she had contact with individuals later connected to the fraud.
The Minnesota House Fraud Prevention and State Agency Oversight Committee previously invited Omar to testify, but committee members said she did not respond.
Republicans on the panel later attempted to subpoena information tied to the congresswoman, though Democrats blocked the effort.
Last week, the committee released a final report criticizing Gov. Tim Walz’s administration and accusing state leadership of creating a “culture of tolerance” that allowed widespread fraud involving taxpayer funds.
The report also singled out Omar’s MEALS Act, which was included in the Families First Coronavirus Response Act.
According to the committee, the legislation removed safeguards from federal nutrition programs by allowing for-profit restaurants to participate and expanding “grab-and-go” meal flexibility during the pandemic.
Investigators argued that those changes made it difficult to verify whether meals were actually reaching children.
Republican committee chair Kristin Robbins criticized Omar’s defense of the legislation and disputed her timeline regarding accountability efforts.
“She only sent a letter once the fraud was exposed,” Robbins told Fox News Digital.
“Prior to that, she sent letters urging the administration to keep the waivers in place — allowing the fraud to continue,” Robbins added. “Sounds like revisionist history. I don’t buy it at all.”
Questions surrounding Omar’s alleged ties to individuals involved in the program have continued to fuel political debate in Minnesota as investigators examine communication records, meetings, and public appearances linked to Feeding Our Future participants.














Continue with Google