A routine construction project in upstate New York turned into a remarkable discovery tied to America’s earliest history.
According to the New York Post, nearly 250 years after their deaths, the remains of what are believed to be at least 44 Revolutionary War soldiers are set to receive a formal burial Friday in Lake George.
The remains were first uncovered in 2019 when construction crews working beneath Courtland Street stumbled across a long-forgotten 18th-century cemetery.
Archaeologists were called in and eventually recovered thousands of bone fragments believed to belong to soldiers connected to the Revolutionary War era.

The remains were later transported to the New York State Museum in Albany, where researchers spent years studying the fragments in an effort to determine how many individuals had been buried there.
One of the biggest challenges involved sorting through hundreds of loose teeth.
“I spent the better part of a year putting together over 800 loose teeth and just trying to recreate the dental arcades for people,” museum bioarchaeology technician Julie Weatherwax told cbs6albany.com.
“And that’s how we actually got the minimum number of 44 individuals was from the dental arcades I was able to put back together,” she added.
Researchers also worked to restore a human connection to the soldiers whose identities have been lost to time.
According to the museum, a forensic artist reconstructed the face of one soldier believed to have been a teenager when he died.

Museum officials said the goal was to honor the individuals behind the remains rather than treat them simply as artifacts.
“The New York State Museum is deeply honored to have helped restore the stories of the people whose remains were disturbed, ensuring they are remembered not as historical fragments, but as individuals who served and sacrificed,” Executive Director Jennifer Saunders said in a statement.

The soldiers will be reburied at Battlefield Park in Lake George as part of the town’s “Repose of the Fallen” memorial project.

Officials said the ceremony will include a military-style procession led by New York State Police and several military trucks from the Korean War and Vietnam War eras.
For the small town, the burial marks the conclusion of a story that remained hidden underground for centuries before chance brought it back into the light.














Continue with Google