Three people are dead and more than a dozen first responders were hospitalized after a suspected overdose at a rural New Mexico home escalated into a hazardous materials emergency Wednesday morning.
Authorities said the incident began around 8 a.m. near Hanlon Avenue and Pinon Street when emergency crews were dispatched to reports of a possible overdose involving an unknown substance. What responders encountered quickly turned into a large-scale emergency involving law enforcement, firefighters, EMS crews, and hazmat teams.
According to New Mexico State Police, first responders discovered one person dead outside the home and another dead inside. Two additional people at the residence required immediate resuscitation efforts. One of those individuals later died, bringing the death toll to three.
The surviving resident was transported to the University of New Mexico Hospital for treatment. Several first responders were also taken to the hospital after reporting symptoms that included nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and headaches. Officials later confirmed that emergency personnel had been exposed to the unidentified substance while responding to the scene.
As concerns about contamination grew, Albuquerque Fire Rescue Hazmat teams were called in to help identify the substance and secure the area.
“At this time, investigators believe the substance may be transmitted through contact and do not believe it to be airborne,” Officer Wilson Silver said.
State Police emphasized there was no known threat to the public but urged residents to avoid the area while investigators continued processing the scene.
Three people are dead and more than a dozen first responders were quarantined and being treated Wednesday for exposure to an unidentified substance after being called to a suspected drug overdose at a rural New Mexico home, authorities said. https://t.co/QF0ZkixdIZ
— NBC 10 WJAR (@NBC10) May 21, 2026
By Wednesday evening, officials said a total of 25 people had been exposed to the substance, including the three individuals who died. Hospital officials reported that 18 exposed individuals had already been discharged, one person was in the process of being released, and three remained hospitalized.
Mountainair EMS Chief Josh Lewis, who was reportedly the first responder to enter the residence, remained hospitalized overnight for observation. State Police said two additional first responders were listed in serious condition.
Officials ruled out carbon monoxide and natural gas as possible causes of the incident. Investigators said drugs were likely involved, though authorities had not publicly identified the substance as of Wednesday night.
The scene remained active late into the evening as investigators from multiple agencies continued collecting evidence at the rural property. Witnesses observed three bodies being removed from the scene on gurneys and loaded into a white van as authorities continued their work.
Mountainair Mayor Peter Nieto said the incident reflects the growing toll substance abuse continues to take on communities across New Mexico and the nation.
“But the reality is that addiction and substance abuse are issues affecting communities all across our state and nation,” Nieto said. “There is no simple or immediate solution. Lasting change requires family support, accountability, education, and most importantly, individuals who are willing to accept help.”
The tragedy comes as New Mexico continues to battle a severe overdose crisis. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the state had the fourth-highest drug overdose death rate in the nation in 2024, recording 775 overdose deaths.
Authorities said the investigation remains ongoing as officials work to determine exactly what substance was involved and how so many first responders became exposed during the emergency response.














Continue with Google