After months of teasing the idea and irritating critics along the way, the Trump White House officially unveiled renderings in mid-April for what it described as a “triumphal arch,” a towering 250-foot monument planned for Washington, D.C., as part of the nation’s 250th birthday celebration.
As RedState previously reported, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt announced at the time that “this year we celebrate America’s 250th birthday. In honor of this historic occasion, President Trump and the Department of the Interior will submit plans for the United States Triumphal Arch, which will be an architectural masterpiece to celebrate our history right here in Washington, D.C.”
Leavitt also said the proposed structure would be built on currently unused green space at Memorial Circle on Columbia Island, a man-made island in the Potomac River overseen by the National Park Service.
The proposal immediately generated debate, though that was hardly unexpected. Supporters praised the project as a bold and unapologetically patriotic landmark timed to coincide with America’s semiquincentennial celebration. Critics, meanwhile, blasted both the scale and style of the design, arguing it was overly grandiose and out of step with the character of the capital.
As previously reported, three different designs were submitted to President Trump for consideration. Unsurprisingly, he selected the largest and most dramatic version.
Now, the project — also known as the “Independence Arch” — has moved one step closer to becoming reality.
BREAKING: BEAUTIFUL new renderings released of President Trump’s upcoming triumphal ARCH in Washington DC
This is going to be incredible
Look at the gold! Liberals are going to lose it
pic.twitter.com/tnjVNmMAfB
— Eric Daugherty (@EricLDaugh) April 10, 2026
Should the proposed Independence Arch be built in Washington, D.C. for the 250th anniversary of America?
On Thursday, a federal arts commission approved a revised version of the proposal. While the updated design remains largely similar to the original concept, several notable changes were made. The revised plan removes the elevated platform beneath the arch, along with tunnel access leading to the site.
At Trump’s request, however, the proposal retained one of its most eye-catching features: massive golden sculptures positioned atop the structure. Designers also confirmed that granite would be used as the primary surface material.
One point of controversy involved a proposed 60-foot golden statue of Lady Liberty flanked by eagles. During earlier discussions in April, a member of the Commission of Fine Arts questioned whether the massive statue was necessary. But architect Nicolas Charbonneau told commissioners that Trump reviewed the suggestion and ultimately rejected the idea of removing it.
Another design element did not survive the revision process. The original concept included gold lion statues positioned lower on the arch, but those have now been removed with Trump’s approval.
Even with Thursday’s approval, the project still faces significant hurdles.
A lawsuit has already been filed by a group of Vietnam veterans seeking to block the construction of the monument. Opponents have also raised concerns about the location and the potential impact on nearby memorials and parkland.
In addition, the Federal Aviation Administration is reviewing whether the proposed structure could create an aerial hazard. That review is standard procedure for any structure taller than 200 feet, though it adds another layer of scrutiny to an already high-profile project.
The next major step comes on June 4, when the National Capital Planning Commission is scheduled to review the proposal. That meeting could prove pivotal in determining whether the Independence Arch continues moving forward or encounters additional obstacles.














BREAKING: BEAUTIFUL new renderings released of President Trump’s upcoming triumphal ARCH in Washington DC
Continue with Google