Less than a day after dropping out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, Sen. Cory Booker (N.J.) said he isn’t taking anything off the table with regard to his future.
In Tuesday’s interview on “CBS This Morning,” Booker was asked if he would consider accepting a vice-presidential nomination.
“I have had no conversations,” Booker answered, adding, “I’m not taking anything off the table.”
Watch his comments below:
Sen. @CoryBooker claims he has had no conversations about being a potential Vice Presidential candidate, but says he’s “not taking anything off the table.” https://t.co/DNRPWa8RS2 pic.twitter.com/D3bcpTyEGI— CBS This Morning (@CBSThisMorning) January 14, 2020
However, he said that he would be focused on his state and working with Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) as part of the “best dynamic duo America has in the Senate.”
Booker suspended his campaign on Monday, citing a lack of resources to be able to remain competitive, as IJR has previously reported.
“It was a difficult decision to make, but I got in this race to win, and I’ve always said I wouldn’t continue if there was no longer a path to victory,” he said in his statement announcing the end of his candidacy.
Booker also used the CBS interview to call for the Democratic National Committee to overhaul its primary process to make sure it supports “big values” instead of “big money,” and that it makes it easier for more diverse candidates to run for president.
In the latter days of his campaign, he regularly voiced frustration as candidates of color dropped out of the race — leaving a field of candidates that is primarily dominated by white, septuagenarians.
Finally, Booker said he would “definitely consider” endorsing a candidate before the Democratic convention, but right now, he said he’s going to “take a breather,” focus on the impeachment trial and on his re-election campaign.