Tragedy hit the set of the Marvel Studios’ upcoming series “Wonder Man” when a crew member died Tuesday morning at CBS Radford Studios in Studio City.
“Our thoughts and deepest condolences are with his family and friends, and our support is behind the investigation into the circumstances of this accident,” a Marvel spokesperson said in a statement.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration, or OSHA, will be investigating.
Matthew D. Loeb, president of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, said the union was shocked and saddened.
“We are working to support our member’s family, and his fellow members and colleagues,” Loeb said in a statement. “Safety on set is our highest priority and we will assist Cal/OSHA in their investigation in any way that we can.”
There have been several fatalities in recent years that have resulted in high-profile lawsuits and calls for industry reforms.
This includes the 2021 fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of the movie “Rust,” when a gun that actor Alec Baldwin was pointing at her went off.
Between 1990 and 2014, at least 43 people died on sets in the U.S. and more than 150 were left with life-altering injuries, according to a 2016 report by The Associated Press. Those numbers were derived by combing through data from workplace and aviation safety investigations, court records and news accounts, CNN reported.
Filming is set to begin next month. The show, which stars Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, was delayed by last year’s Hollywood strikes.
The show was set to stream on Disney+. It does not currently have a release date.