Gabbard's Lawyer Says Clinton 'Changed Course' and Accepted Defamation Lawsuit Documents
After multiple attempts to serve former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton with a defamation lawsuit failed, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard’s (D-Hawaii) lawyer said they had succeeded in delivering the documents.
In a statement to Fox News on Thursday night, Gabbard’s attorney Brian Dunne said that Clinton’s lawyer had “changed course” and allowed the server to deliver the legal documents to Clinton.
“Today, after the media picked up this story, Ms. Clinton’s lawyer changed course and agreed to accept service.”
“We would have preferred that Ms. Clinton just accept federal judicial process in the first instance, without having to be called out by the press, but in any event, Tulsi Gabbard’s lawsuit against her will now be moving forward,” he added.
Gabbard filed a $50 million defamation lawsuit against Clinton for comments she made during an appearance on a podcast where she called Gabbard a “Russian asset.”
Dunne previously said that attempts to serve Clinton with the lawsuit failed after Secret Service agents turned the server away, and suggested the suit be delivered to Clinton’s attorney, David Kendall.
However, Kendall said he could not receive the lawsuit on behalf of Clinton.
Dunne accused Clinton of being too “intimidated” by Gabbard to accept the lawsuit and said his team would figure out what their next steps would be.
Now that Clinton accepted the lawsuit, Dunne said the first hearing could be some time around the end of March.
Truth and Accuracy
We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.