Jacksonville, Florida, Mayor Lenny Curry (R) is insisting safety precautions are a top priority as the Republican National Committee (RNC) prepares to hold its upcoming convention in his city this summer.
During a briefing with reporters, Curry discussed the convention, noting President Donald Trump and the committee’s intent on holding the event at full capacity. However, Curry is guaranteeing safety will be a priority “if COVID-19 presents challenges.”
“Clearly, the RNC wants a large event with a lot of people,” Curry told reporters on Friday morning. “I want that too… If Covid-19 presents challenges, we will put the safety of people first.”
While Curry insists safety protocols will be enforced, he also indicated that it’s too early to detail what those precautions will look like.
“We will adapt and react accordingly and make sure this convention is a smooth, secure and safe event for everyone,” Curry said.
Curry’s remarks come as the president prepares to hit the road again for public events and campaign rallies.
Trump and the RNC decided not to hold the convention in Charlotte, North Carolina due to ongoing clashes with Gov. Roy Cooper (D) over safety protocols and social distancing amid the coronavirus outbreak, as previously reported on IJR.
While Cooper initially agreed to allow the RNC to move forward with the conference, he also stressed the importance of implementing social distancing measures to decrease the chances of further spreading the virus.
However, Trump made it clear on multiple occasions that he had no intention to scale down the event, despite the pandemic, as previously reported on IJR.
The discussions and decision to relocate the convention also come amid the release of a disclaimer from Trump’s re-election campaign.
For his upcoming rallies, attendees are required to register online and agree to the terms of the disclaimer acknowledging that they are aware that attendance could mean risking exposure to COVID-19.
The Republican National Convention is scheduled for Aug. 24 through Aug. 27.