• Latest
  • Trending
  • All
  • News
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
Former FBI Lawyer to Plead Guilty as Part of Russia Probe: New York Times

US Deports Former Nazi Guard Living in Tennessee: He Claimed He Was Only Following Orders

February 23, 2021
Taiwan Says It Was Left Out In Cold On US Decision To Freeze Key Arms Shipment Amid Iran War

Taiwan Says It Was Left Out In Cold On US Decision To Freeze Key Arms Shipment Amid Iran War

May 22, 2026
EXCLUSIVE: Inside DC’s ‘Liberation Center’ Where Leftists Defend Communist Regime’s Killing Of Americans

EXCLUSIVE: Inside DC’s ‘Liberation Center’ Where Leftists Defend Communist Regime’s Killing Of Americans

May 22, 2026
US, Israel And Iran Reject United Nations’ Climate Reparations Shakedown

US, Israel And Iran Reject United Nations’ Climate Reparations Shakedown

May 22, 2026
Kyle Busch Collapsed Before Sudden Death at 41

Kyle Busch Collapsed Before Sudden Death at 41

May 22, 2026
GOP Lawmaker Ditches Problem Solvers Caucus After Democrats Refuse To Budge On Trans Issue

GOP Lawmaker Ditches Problem Solvers Caucus After Democrats Refuse To Budge On Trans Issue

May 22, 2026
Tulsi Gabbard Pushes Back as Whistleblower Dispute Lands on Capitol Hill

Tulsi Gabbard Resigns: Report

May 22, 2026
Trump Hints Colbert Is Not the Last to Fall

Trump Hints Colbert Is Not the Last to Fall

May 22, 2026
Missing Congressman Tom Kean Appears To Have Approved Staff Travel Times During Absence

Missing Congressman Tom Kean Appears To Have Approved Staff Travel Times During Absence

May 22, 2026
Debbie Wasserman Schultz Announces Run For Mainly Black District With Obama Poster In Background

Debbie Wasserman Schultz Announces Run For Mainly Black District With Obama Poster In Background

May 22, 2026
Abigail Spanberger Takes Ball And Goes Home After Her Gerrymander Gambit Epically Failed

Abigail Spanberger Takes Ball And Goes Home After Her Gerrymander Gambit Epically Failed

May 22, 2026
Red State Attorney General Puts Homeowners’ Association On Notice Over Gun Ban

Red State Attorney General Puts Homeowners’ Association On Notice Over Gun Ban

May 22, 2026
Child Rapist Freed By Soros DA Last Seen Running Off With Missing Child

Child Rapist Freed By Soros DA Last Seen Running Off With Missing Child

May 22, 2026
  • Donald Trump
  • Tariffs
  • Congress
  • Faith
  • Immigration
Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Login
IJR
  • Politics
  • US News
  • Commentary
  • World News
  • Faith
  • Latest Polls
No Result
View All Result
IJR
No Result
View All Result
Home Wire

US Deports Former Nazi Guard Living in Tennessee: He Claimed He Was Only Following Orders

by Western Journal
February 23, 2021 at 12:04 am
in Wire
236 18
0
Former FBI Lawyer to Plead Guilty as Part of Russia Probe: New York Times

FILE PHOTO: The Department of Justice (DOJ) logo is pictured on a wall after a news conference to discuss alleged fraud by Russian Diplomats in New York December 5, 2013. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri

493
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A 95-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard who has been living in Tennessee was deported to his home country of Germany on Saturday.

According to a Saturday news release from the Department of Justice, Friedrich Karl Berger worked at a Neuengamme subcamp near Meppen, Germany, where the prison population comprised “Jews, Poles, Russians, Danes, Dutch, Latvians, French, Italians, and political opponents.”

In February 2020, a Memphis immigration judge said the prisoners in the camp were kept in “atrocious” conditions and forced to perform hard labor, working “to the point of exhaustion and death,” NBC News reported.

According to estimates from the Holocaust Memorial Museum, more than 50,000 prisoners, nearly half the people ever imprisoned there, died in the camp.

During the two-day trial last year, Berger admitted that he guarded prisoners to prevent them from escaping. After the Allies’ approach forced the Nazis to abandon Meppen, Berger also evacuated prisoners under inhumane conditions.

The former concentration camp guard reportedly never requested a transfer from the camp during his time there. As of February of last year, Berger was still receiving a pension from Germany for his wartime service.

Due to his participation in “Nazi-sponsored persecution,” the judge ruled that Berger could be deported, and the Board of Immigration Appeals upheld the decision in November.

Berger is not the first person the U.S. government has deported for participating in the state-sponsored persecution carried out by the Nazis.

According to The Washington Post, the DOJ has won similar cases against 70 people since 1979. Due to the passage of time, however, the number of Nazi-era cases has slowed, meaning Berger could be the last former Nazi guard removed from the country.

Berger attempted to defend his actions in a statement to The Post last year. The former guard claimed he was only 19 when he was forced to work at the camp and was not there for long.

“After 75 years, this is ridiculous. I cannot believe it,” Berger said. “I cannot understand how this can happen in a country like this. You’re forcing me out of my home.”

According to the German news outlet Deutsche Welle, Berger made similar claims last year, arguing that he was only following orders at the time.

Acting Attorney General Monty Wilkinson justified Berger’s deportation in the DOJ statement, saying that “the United States is not a safe haven for those who have participated in Nazi crimes against humanity and other human rights abuses.”

“The Department marshaled evidence that our Human Rights and Special Prosecutions Section found in archives here and in Europe, including records of the historic trial at Nuremberg of the most notorious former leaders of the defeated Nazi regime,” he added.

“In this year in which we mark the 75th anniversary of the Nuremberg convictions, this case shows that the passage even of many decades will not deter the Department from pursuing justice on behalf of the victims of Nazi crimes.”

Acting ICE Director Tae Johnson supported Berger’s removal in a similar statement.

“We are committed to ensuring the United States will not serve as a safe haven for human rights violators and war criminals,” Johnson said.

“We will never cease to pursue those who persecute others. This case exemplifies the steadfast dedication of both ICE and the Department of Justice to pursue justice and to hunt relentlessly for those who participated in one of history’s greatest atrocities, no matter how long it takes.”

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

Tags: Department of Justice
Share197Tweet123
Western Journal

Western Journal

IJR

    Copyright © 2024 IJR

Trusted Voices On All Sides

  • About Us
  • GDPR Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
  • Editorial Standards & Corrections Policy
  • Subscribe to IJR

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • US News
  • Commentary
  • World News
  • Faith
  • Latest Polls

    Copyright © 2024 IJR